Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PPD

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM
  • 4 Replies

Has anyone here gone through postpartum depression?

I am struggling right now. I just need to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Everyday seems to be a greater and greater struggle. I keep reaching out to my doctors and am in the process of being matched with a therapist. But it doesn't seem like any of it is helping.

For those that have gone through this how did you recover? What did you do to recover?(meds, therapy, etc?) What seemed to have the most impact? How long did it take to start to feel better or "normal"? Did you have a lot of anxiety with the PPD? How did you deal with it?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
trilliana
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Man, I wish the forums would keep posts a bit longer, but not too long ago, they had an expert in PPD. Most commonly, diet, exercise, routine, therapy, and meds can all help, but I personally think if you start slowly like... eat healthier and exercise every day or so, you can help manage it.

I haven't been diagnosed professionally, but I have all of the symptoms of it. I don't do meds, but I try to do more every day and the days that I accomplish the little goals I have for myself (like... clean DS's room, or do all of the dishes, sort the dirty clothes or something simple that normally drives me insane) I seem to feel a bit better. Your therapist will probably want to find out if there's a deeper drive for the PPD. Like for me, I have Post Traumatic. Most of the time, if you have an anxiety disorder, you're more likely to get PPD, so yes, you will get anxious. 

My tricks are to take a breath, by myself, just until I feel like I can handle what's happening, then tackle it. It's harder for me to do at my in-laws parties because, well, some people there are nosy and it makes my anxiety a little worse, or I can't find a place to take a breath. Also, it might help to write out your feelings. Just personally,  I would rather use a pen and paper to write out my emotions than typing them, just more personalized than words on a screen because I can see how deep my pen goes into the paper, and that's actually how I got my PTSD manageable.

There's some days that you won't feel "normal", and yes, it will be a daily struggle, for a while, to keep yourself from getting down, but you have people here to talk to, you have a therapist if you really feel like a vent to us won't help. Just remember that you've got a little one that loves you no matter what (even if they are buttheads lol)

Stay strong momma

marzbar
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM

First off big (((hugs))) to you.  I want to tell you there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  After my daughter was born I just couldn't snap back like I did after having my son.  We had horrible breastfeeding issues and I just felt drained and I honestly wanted to give her up and run away.

I suffered alone for 6 months until my family begged me to talk to the doctor.  It turned out I was anemic and low on B12 and my folic acid.  I was given supplements and a good anti-depressant and with time starting feeling like myself again.  It took a month or two when my levels went back up.

Hang in there and please feel free to vent anytime.  Everyone here is very supportive.

Surrender
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Quoting crystalchu:

Has anyone here gone through postpartum depression?

I am struggling right now. I just need to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Everyday seems to be a greater and greater struggle. I keep reaching out to my doctors and am in the process of being matched with a therapist. But it doesn't seem like any of it is helping.

For those that have gone through this how did you recover? I was given anti-depressant, anti-anxiety medication. At the time, I was on Zoloft and then switched to Celexa. I also think Lexapro is a fantastic medicine. I also went to individual therapy and group therapy with other PPD moms. I stayed in both therapies at least a year.

What did you do to recover?(meds, therapy, etc?)See above

What seemed to have the most impact?All of the above, but not limited to them. I worked hard at getting myself better. Getting well takes time and understanding on your part and the part of loved ones. I also did a lot of reading about anxiety and depression and kept as busy as possible. I stayed away from negative people. You will not stay this way!!

How long did it take to start to feel better or "normal"?I got to the point where I could actually function better in about a month, but I suffered with it for a month or so without any help. Before that, I needed so much help. But, I found ways to make my life easier as well and you will too.

Did you have a lot of anxiety with the PPD? How did you deal with it? Yes, I had so much anxiety; moreso than depression. There were days I almost couldn't deal with it, but I kept going on because of my children (I had it twice). I mostly dealt with it by breaking down my days into minutes at a time. That was the only way I could diminish the anxiety. Otherwise, each day seemed like an insurmountable amount of torture for me. As time went on, the anxiety eased as I learned to think more hopeful and positive.

I hope I've helped to clarify some things for you. Feel free to pm me anytime. I am a PPD survivor (2xs!)

Just realize you will get better. Everyone's journey is different.

crystalchu
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Thank you all very much for your replies!

I feel much better today and much more hopeful. I really appreciate being able to come here and find people who can relate and have been through it before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)