Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Part 12 Anger: How to react and respond.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM
  • 0 Replies

Taken from: From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett

Quote: Here are some examples of how someone or something makes you angry, and some possible responses that will bring creative positive change.

Example 1: My father makes me angry. Even though I'm CEO of my own company, he still treats me like a child. He criticizes me constantly and tells me how to run my business.

I've told myself this is how he is and he isn't going to change. I told him in a controlled tone of voice that i didn't appreciate his remarks. he seemed shocked. I felt guilty at first, but now I feel better and stronger for it.

Example 2: I went to the pharmacy to get a prescription filled and the pharmacist couldn't fill it because his computer was down. I got irritated.

I could have just relaxed and come back later. There was nothing he could do. I overreacted and made myself upset about something I couldn't control.

Example 3: I wanted to go to a city a few hours away to buy some special tools. I wanted my wife to go along because I was uncomfortable at the thought of driving that far alone. She didn't want to go and said so. I got angry and accused her of not wanting me to get better.

I used anger as a motivation. "I'll show her!" I thought to myself and I took the trip alone. It was the best thing. I could have done. Sure I was nervous, but I did it. The feelings of accomplishment were fabulous. As for my wife, she didn't want to go and she had that right. I think she also wanted me to try it on my own so I could become independent again.

Are you angry at yourself and taking it out on another person? If you are, take a ten-second time out. Say to yourself, "Wait a minute. I'm not really made at Janice. I'm angry at how I handled the situation at work today." Than you can take your wife aside and tell her, "Look, Janice. I'm not mad at you. I'm sorry I acted that way. It's just been a bad day and I didn't handle an important meeting very well. It really has nothing to do with you."

When you can be responsible for your own anger, when you can recognize your errors and forgive yourself, than you've really grown.

pinklady77

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)