Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Productivity

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 9 Replies

I don't know about anyone else but part of my depression is this vicious cycle of I'm having a bad day so I didn't do anything.  Then the next day, the house is so messy, I'm really overwhelmed.  And it just gets worse and worse and then I berate myself for being lazy and sitting there doing nothing and I get so far behind.  If I ever do have a productive day, I feel so good about myself.  But then the next day it starts all over.

So I have started to do something so that I can dig myself out a little easier.  Having accomplished something makes me feel good and even on the days where it might seem like I've done nothing, I've really done a lot, if I sit down and look at it. 

I keep a journal.  It's kind of a reverse to-do list.  I write the day and date and the What I Did Today.  All day long I keep track of what I've done.  Even on the days where it seems like I've done nothing, it's just not true and it makes me feel better and helps to stop some of the negative self-talk.

I put things like...

Took a shower

Fed baby (and then I tally mark for every time I do it)

Changed diapers (tally marks again)

Took Amaya potty (tally marks)

Cleaned Amaya's potty chair (tally marks)

Made breakfast

Made lunch

Fed dog

Gave dog water

Got the mail

I do all of that on even my laziest days (except maybe the shower).  It just really helps me to realize that I'm not just sitting on my ass doing nothing, even if the house didn't get cleaned.  Any little thing can go on there.  If I make a phone call for something, I write it down.  If I paid a bill, I write it down.  If I do something with the kids, I write it down.  If I got gas in the car, I write that down.  If I pick up something, no matter how small (like maybe I didn't clean the living room but I did pick up the blocks) I write that down.

It really helps me not to get so down on myself for being lazy when I'm depressed.  Of course, it doesn't help that I forget to do it so often!

I just thought I would share in case anyone else has similar difficulties.  It can also help if your hubby thinks you do nothing.  My hubby would never bother to read it.  Just having a list I can show him makes me feel better.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Xantho
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM

you rock momma! keep it u
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
getrealmama
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM

That is such a great idea - I do it sometimes too, when I am in a cycle of feeling unproductive.  I have a date book, and on bad days I will list the stuff I did so I can help remind myself that I am not a bad lazy person.  I am so glad you posted this because your ways of thinking are so very much like mine!  Even though the house may not look like you did anything...it just means you didn't do anything obvious.  It's so hard to fight the negative self-talk and tricks like this really do help! 

Serenitymom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I'm so the same about my cycles.... writing things down sounds like a good idea, although I'm supposed to be writing journals anyway, I keep forgetting cuz when I get on here, I just want to forget about my depression..... But I know writing things down will help.

Dr.Brondolo
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Quoting Debbie062008: This is an excellent idea, and an excellent description of the way people experience symptoms on a day to day basis. I think a "reverse to-do" list is a great idea. And if you keep it for a while, you will begin to understand the triggers of inactivity and the resources you have to get you going.  Sometimes your mood is very low, sometimes you are very anxious, sometimes the task is really too difficult for now, even if it doesn't seem like it. When you do get something done - something on your reverse to-do list, you can ask yourself - "what made this possible? More support, less anxiety, interest, better planning?"

I don't know about anyone else but part of my depression is this vicious cycle of I'm having a bad day so I didn't do anything.  Then the next day, the house is so messy, I'm really overwhelmed.  And it just gets worse and worse and then I berate myself for being lazy and sitting there doing nothing and I get so far behind.  If I ever do have a productive day, I feel so good about myself.  But then the next day it starts all over.

So I have started to do something so that I can dig myself out a little easier.  Having accomplished something makes me feel good and even on the days where it might seem like I've done nothing, I've really done a lot, if I sit down and look at it. 

I keep a journal.  It's kind of a reverse to-do list.  I write the day and date and the What I Did Today.  All day long I keep track of what I've done.  Even on the days where it seems like I've done nothing, it's just not true and it makes me feel better and helps to stop some of the negative self-talk.

I put things like...

Took a shower

Fed baby (and then I tally mark for every time I do it)

Changed diapers (tally marks again)

Took Amaya potty (tally marks)

Cleaned Amaya's potty chair (tally marks)

Made breakfast

Made lunch

Fed dog

Gave dog water

Got the mail

I do all of that on even my laziest days (except maybe the shower).  It just really helps me to realize that I'm not just sitting on my ass doing nothing, even if the house didn't get cleaned.  Any little thing can go on there.  If I make a phone call for something, I write it down.  If I paid a bill, I write it down.  If I do something with the kids, I write it down.  If I got gas in the car, I write that down.  If I pick up something, no matter how small (like maybe I didn't clean the living room but I did pick up the blocks) I write that down.

It really helps me not to get so down on myself for being lazy when I'm depressed.  Of course, it doesn't help that I forget to do it so often!

I just thought I would share in case anyone else has similar difficulties.  It can also help if your hubby thinks you do nothing.  My hubby would never bother to read it.  Just having a list I can show him makes me feel better.

emarin77
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM

That looks awesome, good for you.  You are definitly controlling and managing your depression.  Cheers!

Debbie062008
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Well, I don't know about that!  I'm trying anyway!  Thanks, though, I appreciate the encouragement!

Quoting emarin77:

That looks awesome, good for you.  You are definitly controlling and managing your depression.  Cheers!

Debbie062008
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies! 

zeenakwon
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:22 AM

That's a great idea.  I'm gonna try that.

~Zeenat~

Xantho
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM

All you have to do is try!! I think that trying is the best step forward for all of us in ANYTHING we're going through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)