Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sweet 16 parties

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:09 AM
  • 7 Replies

How Much is Too Much for a Party?

by Nicole Weston (RSS feed) Apr 28th 2006 at 4:07PM

This New York Times article about the TV show My Super Sweet 16 really got me thinking about spending. The show, if you are unfamiliar with it, is a reality program that follows the planning and preparation for some of the most expensive teenage birthday parties in the country. Many of the parties cost upwards of $200,000, not including the gifts of cars, clothes and jewelry that many of the lucky kids receive in addition.

The show has its fans and its critics, but the critics are always the most vocal, saying that such "celebrations of self... [are] an excuse to prolong the whiny, self-centered greediness that gives infantile a bad name." In contrast, a mother whose daughter appeared on the show said "Unless they were crazy or hated their child, any parent who was financially able would do it." Would they? Is there a point where the spending for a child's entertainment should stop?

If you can afford a blow out Sweet 16 for your daughter, more power to you! But, what is your opinon in general of the explosion and focus on these parties which have turned into gala events?

Does it feed into more young girls having an unrealistic view of life and the value of a dollar or do you want your daughter to feel and act like a princess no matter what?

I can't help but think what some young ladies may expect when their wedding rolls around.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sammygrl77
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:16 AM
I agree with you. Even if I had the money I wouldn't do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KohensMummy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM

i can't say if I would or not. I've never been that wealthy and doubt I ever will be..Lol

Surrender
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM

The thing is, it's not just the rich that do it anymore. People actually go into debt for it these days. I've had friends who spend over $10,000 on a Sweet 16 that they had no business having.

Quoting KohensMummy:

i can't say if I would or not. I've never been that wealthy and doubt I ever will be..Lol

KatieCat2003
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Unless you are royalty, pretty darn close, or a big celebrity I don't understand it. Even then I don't but I can understand why they would go overboard to make it special since those lifestyles tend to have elegence and fancy on a regular basis.

I can totally see doing a bigger party for 16 than 14,15,&17 but not a huge "go into debt" blow out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DalmatianStars
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I never had a sweet 16, and for the most part, it sounds like they are rare in Australia. [ As in, almost no one knows what a sweet 16 is ]

Honestly, to me, a sweet 16 would be a good time to celebrate life, hang out with friends, and get your first car. Other than that, I don't see the point in spending more money. 'Course, if I stay here, it won't matter much. Driving doesn't start until you're 18 [ Same with drinking, hrm, they really thought about that one huh? ]

copperswifey
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I think it's crazy when they do stuff like that. It reminds me of when I did Equestrian show jumping. Everyone had to out to out do everyone else. Who had the most expensive horse and biggest horse trailer. It made riding not fun anymore. Those kids were so spoiled and treated their parents like crap. I think if you are handed everything you don't learn to appreciate the things you have. You tend to take things for granted. 

LissaJ83
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I think the Super Sweet 16 is really crazy. Sweet 16 reminds me of Quinceanera, a mexican tradition. A birthday party is given for the girl's 15th birthday for her coming- of - age.
I don't think I will go all out for my dd's 16th birthday cus we have to save money for her wedding lol. But I would have a celebration with family and friends, more or less like any birthday party!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)