Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you OD on vitamins?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM
  • 12 Replies

I have a 7 day pill box for my daughter who is 7 (8 in Feb).  It contains each day, 2 calcium gummy bears and 1 gummy flinstone vitamin.  On Thursday I handed her 2 cal and 1 Flin then filled her box and asked her to go put it in the bathroom.  She's always been very responsible and we never had any reason not to trust her until Saturday morning...

Friday's supply was gone...as were half of the rest..well she ate an entire bear and then the head off of each cal and then ate the Flin in half...

When we asked her why she did that she replied...because I didn't think you'd notice.

Did she do this for attention?? Is my 7 year old popping pills already???  I'm losing her and she's only 7...I know she's upset because of her BM and their relaitonship but I'm so conflicted...

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BekaBug
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM

i would sit down and really try and talk to her., or have her sit down with her school counselor. maybe have a girls day, it sounds like a cry for attention but it could be deeper than that. you can over dose on certain vitamins; ones that arent water soluble (and i guess its not really an OD like you would think it causes damage to major organs bc your body cant process the excess) but i dont think you can on childrens. i would look it up or ask a pharmacist., youre not losing her, shes just hit a rough patch and she needs you now more than ever. it will pass. -good luck-

i'm a book reading, thrill seeking, always traveling, can't sit still, stuck in my ways,  pierced and tattooed, co- sleeping, vaccinating, breast feeding, army wife., and mommy to a little girl. with another on the way. who's madly in love with my husband and absolutely loves being a stay at home mommy and army wife kind of woman.

Xantho
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Thanks Beka, we did sit down and talk with her.  Sometimes it just seems like it goes in one ear and out the other.  We reward good behavior and have consequences for bad.  BM on the otherhand bribes for good behavior.  So its been rough for everyone.

Quoting BekaBug:

i would sit down and really try and talk to her., or have her sit down with her school counselor. maybe have a girls day, it sounds like a cry for attention but it could be deeper than that. you can over dose on certain vitamins; ones that arent water soluble (and i guess its not really an OD like you would think it causes damage to major organs bc your body cant process the excess) but i dont think you can on childrens. i would look it up or ask a pharmacist., youre not losing her, shes just hit a rough patch and she needs you now more than ever. it will pass. -good luck-

DalmatianStars
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM

To answer the question, yes, you absolutely can OD on vitamins.

To answer the post, I'm not her, so I cannot say whether it's attention or not. To be honest, I had eaten a few extra Flinstone vitamins when I was younger as well, but not for attention. Because they tasted good. Is it possible she bit off the heads for this reason, but wanted to make sure there was some there so you wouldn't notice some had gone missing? Like, instead of taking a couple, and you realizing there are a couple days worth missing, she bit off the heads to get the flavor, and let the rest so it wouldn't be 'missing'?

When I was 5, I drank about half a bottle of pepto bismol that was in the fridge [ child-proof cap? piff, I got it open easily ] just because it tasted like candy to me. Of course, my parents soon found out, but the point is, I didn't do it for attention, I was just young and even though I knew it was medicine, I didn't realize it could have a "bad" effect, you know?

From what you described though, I don't think your daughter will be in trouble from the vitamins, but just keep an eye on her.

bigmamatexas
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM

from what i understand, it is not an  issue of  'overdose' but an 'overloading'  your system.  your body can absord so much then it has do someting with the excess,  so the body will excrete what it does not use.

i suspect that  you talked to her and to poison control,  just to get yourself up to date and to form a stradegy plan.  it sounds like more like she is testing you, but, on what level?  is this just to see what she can get away with?   is she 'mimicking' you (do you take your meds/supplements/herbs is front of her?) , her role model and love of her life?  does she feel she needs more attention from you?  

i would talked with her, again, caution her against  excess, my friend brenda is constantly reeling me with 'practice everything in moderation, nothing to excess, just do enough of anything/everything to enjoy the time/food/feeling/whatever.  then savor the moments forever.' when you do talk to her i would advise it to be on nuetral ground, something like a ice cream date with just you and her. talk in your regular voice bring in comparisions that she can understand, like taking to may vitamins is like putting on to much lipstick , it is just to much, not pretty, doesnt help you.  and if you can squeeze in a short  on the evils of your philosophies...or just let her ask questions.  or move on to another topic.   even at her tender age she does know the family dynamanics and knows your stand on drugs,  illegal or legal.  she might be trying to ferret out something that was said to her wants your feed back.  you just never know.  dont  take a deep breath and dive into life, it is here to stay for awhile.  please forgive my spelling. 

BekaBug
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:18 AM

im glad to hear yall got to have a sit down., some times thats all it takes, they just need to know how much they mean to you. my parents went through this with two of my cousins they had custody over., their bm kept telling them she was gonna get them back so they didnt have to listen to my parents., so they just stopped listening to my parents altogether. its rough when kids are put in situations like that., and i cant even image what youre having to go through. but i honestly think thats a great system yall have and in the end that structure will be great for her. the only other concern i would have is a lot of times when young kids act out like that its a sign of abuse. im not sure what the circumstances are with her bm., but i would keep an eye on your dd., you can google what to look for. 

Quoting Xantho:

Thanks Beka, we did sit down and talk with her.  Sometimes it just seems like it goes in one ear and out the other.  We reward good behavior and have consequences for bad.  BM on the otherhand bribes for good behavior.  So its been rough for everyone.

Quoting BekaBug:

i'm a book reading, thrill seeking, always traveling, can't sit still, stuck in my ways,  pierced and tattooed, co- sleeping, vaccinating, breast feeding, army wife., and mommy to a little girl. with another on the way. who's madly in love with my husband and absolutely loves being a stay at home mommy and army wife kind of woman.

sammygrl77
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:52 AM
I agree with this. Kids vitamins are just yummy. And kids that age try to get away with things. I used to eat cherry chapstick at that age because I loved the way it tasted. Sounds like she just wanted to eat them and only ate part because she thought you wouldn't notice. Very normal behaivor for her age.

Maybe now is a good time to keep the vitamins out of her reach. There are certain vitamins that can be dangerous in large quantities, like iron and vitamin A.

Quoting DalmatianStars:

To answer the post, I'm not her, so I cannot say whether it's attention or not. To be honest, I had eaten a few extra Flinstone vitamins when I was younger as well, but not for attention. Because they tasted good. Is it possible she bit off the heads for this reason, but wanted to make sure there was some there so you wouldn't notice some had gone missing? Like, instead of taking a couple, and you realizing there are a couple days worth missing, she bit off the heads to get the flavor, and let the rest so it wouldn't be 'missing'?

When I was 5, I drank about half a bottle of pepto bismol that was in the fridge [ child-proof cap? piff, I got it open easily ] just because it tasted like candy to me. Of course, my parents soon found out, but the point is, I didn't do it for attention, I was just young and even though I knew it was medicine, I didn't realize it could have a "bad" effect, you know?

From what you described though, I don't think your daughter will be in trouble from the vitamins, but just keep an eye on her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieCat2003
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM
These exactly!!! I tried to get dimetapp when I wasn't really sick because I loved the grape flavor!! And ya know how when you act sick you get sick? Well I needed the dimetapp alot more because I was sick too.

Maybe it's partly acting out/ crying for attention, but I think it's mostly they taste like candy... And feel like candy too! And yes iron, a vitamins and even calcium can be bad if you get too much.

If you haven't done so yet, please call as pharmacy or poison control.

Quoting sammygrl77:

I agree with this. Kids vitamins are just yummy. And kids that age try to get away with things. I used to eat cherry chapstick at that age because I loved the way it tasted. Sounds like she just wanted to eat them and only ate part because she thought you wouldn't notice. Very normal behaivor for her age.

Maybe now is a good time to keep the vitamins out of her reach. There are certain vitamins that can be dangerous in large quantities, like iron and vitamin A.

Quoting DalmatianStars:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM

lol my son would eat the whole bottle of gummy vites if I let him!  hahaha!  don't worry, she will be fine, she didn't have too much... her body will actually filter most of the extra vitamins out. 

Xantho
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Thanks ladies...we talked to night at Girl Scouts about safety and She brought up the fact that you don't want to take too many vitamins because it can hurt you because that is what mommy and daddy said!  I was so proud of her to share what happened at our house with her Girl Scout friends.

We then talked about Poison Control and the girls did a craft involving numbers for safety!

KatieCat2003
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM
Cool!! Glad she listened!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)