Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooped up

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM
  • 24 Replies

Hi ladies.  I'm feeling cooped up in the house already and it's only been cold for about a week here in Staten Island (NY).  I have a 2 year old son who has recently started to dislike his wet/dirty diapers.  So I went and purchased some training pants and pull up diapers.  At first he was interested in going to the potty but now when he has an accident and I try to bring him to the bathroom he screams and says "no, no".  I don't want to give up on the training - it's been about 3 weeks on and off but I don't want to discourage it either.  UGH!!!!  I just needed to vent!!!  Thanks for listening :)

Kristytoddler boy

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xantho
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:02 PM
sticker charts could work with your son they even make them small enough to fit in a purse
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prplroses
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:18 PM
He may not be really ready to start potty training yet. I know they say 2 yrs is when kids are ready to start going potty but some kids aren't ready till closer to 3. I took me forever to potty train my older 3 kids! Don't stress it to much, he will go potty when he's ready. Just encourage him but don't force him to go potty (not yet any way lol). Good luck! :) Oh, have you tryed letting him run around naked? My second son would only go potty when he was naked lol. It worked for me, it got him interested in going potty. Of course it was warmer outside when I let him do that but I thought I'd throw that out there lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn3307
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Hey I understand that! My daughter was that terrible too when she was going potty.. It will get easier... hang in there!!! :))

Jenn3307
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Quoting Xantho:

sticker charts could work with your son they even make them small enough to fit in a purse

I made my own for my daughter!! They make the potty training so much funner for the kids!!

kc817
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 8:01 AM
Sticker charts is a good idea. I think I'm going to wait a little while since he doesn't seem interested in it right now. Thanks for the advice ladies!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I should take the advice I'm about to give you. 

Don't let the cold keep you inside.  Get out there!  Even if it's just for a little bit, being outside will make a difference.  Bundle up and keep warm and then when you get back inside cuddle up in a blanket, read a story or watch a movie.  Enjoy winter and remember it doesn't last forever!

And I wish I could help with the potty training issue but I'm going through something similar right now with my two year old.  I have amazingly stubborn children (all boys) so potty training is terribly stressful  but you will get him potty trained and then you'll be able to look back on this difficult time and laugh (maybe?).  

Good Luck!

elwalters77
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Quoting kc817:

Sticker charts is a good idea. I think I'm going to wait a little while since he doesn't seem interested in it right now. Thanks for the advice ladies!!

good choice!

As far as feeling cooped up, why not schedule a play date, go window shopping/mall walking with the stroller, make up fun games to play with him, visit a friend or family member. Do you have a Wii? I know he's little, but he might still enjoy playing active games with Mommy and you'll both get some exercise.

dotsicle
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:07 PM

My kids are wayyy past the potty training stage, but I wonder if there is a book or two about potty training that is written for kids? Something you could read to him that might make his training "fun"? He's probably not really too young. Just because he might not be "interested" in being trained, you want him to learn to use the potty and you are the boss -mom, LOL! (My oldest was easy, fortunately, and the younger ones wanted to do whatever the oldest did, so it was easy for me. I know how fortunate I was.) Since he is already disliking wet and dirty diapers, I think it may be a sign that he is ready to start potty training. This could be a "project" to help you forget about being "cooped up".

Airforce3mom
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Please don't give up.. yes i agree with the award system. I used that alot onmy kids.. With my son.. I made it like a game to win prizes.. I would put like a piece of paper in the toilet and have him aim to hit it.. I thought it made it pretty simple that way.. He was easier to train then my girls...  I know it will all take time..       (( Cheers and hugs))

dbnjmndrs
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I think he's just frustrated with this learning process. It sounds like an exciting milestone's almost there! Make it no big deal if he has an accident. fingers crossedCould you bundle him up and take a walk with him? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)