Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need a little advice or just any information that you can give me.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM
  • 15 Replies

i have posted on another group about depression but i wanted to give this group a try =)  well i can start off by saying that im shanna im 29 yrs old from ohio i have a 4 yr old daughter and  a 16 month old. im in a relationship right now but hes not the father of the girls. so for my oldest im basically a mom and dad to her since her dad hasnt seen or talked to her since she was 11 months old =(    but anyways im currently working full time which im grateful for since i know how hard it is now a days to find a job. i am living with my parents right now but i am tryin my best to get my own place but its very difficult for me seeing that my job dont pay that great and i have other bills to pay. i dont have my car right now and i cant afford one at this current time. i know that im depressed and have anxiety problems and the depression and stress has been going on for a long time now i just never seek help yet. ive never went to try and get some help with it but i know that i really need too cuz its starting to really get to me now and i dont wanna be like this i hate the feeling. i know i may be to hard on myself at times but its just how i feel right now if anyone can please tell me where i can go to get help or maybe a number to call or something to try and maybe see a counseler im ot even sure who i talk to or where to look in the phone book since i have never tried to get any help before. and i only go to my gno so i know he cant help in that department lol thanks for any advice! =)

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:37 PM

first of all do you have insurance? ask around in your area to people you feel comfortable with or call the hospital to see who you might like to see and make an appt. when i made my first appt. i just picked up the phone book and dialed a number of a dr who worked at our local psych hospital. you can always switch if you dont like them or you can make and appt with a counselor at your local psych hospital. at least thats the way it is here.

kandi2100
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:40 PM
yes i do have insurance so thats good at least that helps yeah thats what i was thinking about doing is just going in the phone book and try to find local numbers and call them and hopefully they will take my insurance.
EireLass
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I see a professional therapist, but I know some primary care doctors will help too. I was always 'anti-med'.....but I really had to step back and realize that my depression was not just affecting myself, but those around me. And who's hero was I trying to be without meds? Try it, you never know. You could eventually work around it, and get off meds.

rosiemendo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Hi....you can also look in the phone book under "Psychology".  Your OBGYN should also be able to recommend someone or an organization who will help you.  Here in Buffalo we have agencies who will help set you up with a counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc. and will work with you to make payments according to what you can afford even if they do not take your insurance.   My friend and my cousin recommended the psychologist and the psychiatrist I see.  Don't wait, honey, do it soon.  Make that call!  Good luck to you!

kandi2100
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:00 PM

thank you guys sooo much i know that i really really need too my anxiety is also keepin me from driving which is where alot of my stress and stuff stem from also i know i need to get on meds for depression and anxiety but my whole main concern is i dont want to get addicted to anything thats why i never went i guess.

Naturewoman4
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM
Hi Kandi. I was just like you, I never liked taking anything. All my life I never had depression that lasted longer than a day. till a few yrs. ago. Several things happen all at once. I couldnt deal with it all. cont.)
Naturewoman4
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:45 PM
I went on Prozac and counseling through Kaiser. Your Ins. Provider should prouide you with that info. I went though several counselors, they weren't good. So I stopped. I read self-help books instead, helped alot. A good counselor would help though. Im glad I went om Prozac. they're not addictive. I went off slowly, for a few yrs. then went back on. I use Xanax for antiexty. works great! just take only when necessary. d
kandi2100
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM

thank you and yes i know if i get the help i need and some stuff to take to help me out that my life and just me myself will be so much happier! im really lookin forward to the outcome once i do seek the help. thans everyone!! =) it just makes you feel better on here talkin esp from people thats going thru the same stuff that u are.

Naturewoman4
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:21 PM
Kandi your baby is adorable!! Maybe, u can put your other daught. pic up too. You sound better already. So come here when you to talk. We're here. Once you get on the right meds. and dose you will notice a diff. and if it works, like it did for me. made a great diff! d
leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:22 AM

welcome to the group! I was like you I fought getting help as long as possible. But when I started having bad panic attacks, I had to do something. I went to my normal doctor, and she prescribed me zoloft for depression and xanax for when I have a panic attacks. She also reccomended therapy and gave me a group of therapists that she reccomended. I have my second therapy appt on Monday :) The zoloft has helped a lot and I haven't taken the xanax yet because I'm too scared to lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)