Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to school?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

If you haven't finished and gotten a degree or anything, have you thought of going back to school? Do you think you could handle the pressure of being in college? Do you think it could almost be therapeutic?

I just wonder what others thoughts are on going back to school but dealing with severe depression and anxiety issues. I want to get in to nursing and I had started but I didn't do so weel cuz myson is special needs and a ton of stuff ended up happening. The problem is hisstuff seems to never end. We had a recent hospital stay and they had a ton of student nurses shadowing and what not and it made me realize how bad I want to do that! I want to become a pediatric nurse! I just don't know how I could handle school and if it would be a good idea to put such pressure on myself.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:10 PM

can you start out by taking one class at a time, or going to the school to talk with admissions about what the demands of the degree you want would be?  for me, i love school.  it was the one time in my life where i felt the most stable. i regret not continuing with law school after i got my bachelor's.

casah4
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I'm going back to school now.  It's certainly hard, but I'm doing well.  I need my husband to push me and encourage me when I feel like I just can't do any more. He gets me through the hard times and then I feel better and start enjoying it again. I only take a few classes at a time to minimize the stress. It will take me longer to finish, but that's what I have to do.

mrsvixen
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I'm on the waiting list to go back to school to get a diploma as a Social Worker.

The way I look at it, is as you say "there are life issues" that are ALWAYS going to be popping up.

I'm now 44 and I want to do something more with my life, so I'm going to take it one step at a time.

I know through my volunteer hours, that it makes me feel usefull and productive which really helps.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM

i dont work anymore but i was an lpn and i had taken a challenge test at the local college to see if i could omit the first semester of the rn program and i passed but never got to go back because i became very nervous. i had small kids at the time. i do wonder if i could go back now even though i am on disability i have thought about it. i say go for it and see what you can do. youll never know unless you try.

ReaderVictoria
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:14 AM

I am in my second year of going to school online.  I plan to get my Bachelor's in Psychology and then transfer to USC's online Master's program for Social Work.  I want to be a social worker for end-of-life hospice care.

I find that although I sometimes feel swamped, being back in school presents me with challenges that help me feel like I am accomplishing something with myself.  My only regret is that my Dad died before i got my degree.

Melisa97
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I am going to school for Dental Assistant.  It has taken a lot of time and sacrifice (today my plan is just to do homework).  I'm in my second out of four terms.  I do have some emotional issues, last week I said some crazy things because I was feeling like no one liked me.  Tuesday I have to go back with my head held high and pretend like everything is fine.  I just try and keep my eye on the prize which is hopefully a decent paying job, money to do things with my children, and a car with veteran plates.

Since being in this school, I feel it has helped keep some of my issues at bay.  Overall I feel better.  I feel like I'm accomplishing something.  I've learned so much. 

Good luck.

rhodaj
by rho on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I had thought about going back back to school but I go to allot of traintng for my volunteer and I get really stressed out just from that. 

K_Marie
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Not sure..because I don't really know you, but I am doing it. Sometimes I do well, and others its a struggle. If you decide to do it, GL!

unbrokenhellmus
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:45 AM

I am currently in school to become a High School English teacher. But all my classes as of right now are online so that I can work and go to school as well as take care of the home. I can't say if you should do it or not BUT if you feel as if you could handle it then go for it. There will always be issues that pop up. That's just part of life. It very well be therapuetic for you. Talk with admissions and explain to them the situation, my SIL is in nursing school, she has bipolar with generalized anxiety and she says that she is able to cope better in school than at home at times. 

Good luck though if you decide to go back to school! 

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:47 AM

I'm in school now to be a practical nurse. Actually, I graduate on Friday!

I started when my daughter was 3 weeks old. She'll be one on the 17th. It's been a trying year, but SO worth it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)