Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Where to Turn for Help

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

We hope that you will find a supportive and helpful community here at CafeMom. But sometimes the support of your peers is not enough, and you need to speak to a caring person who is trained to help.

If you feel really badly and need someone to talk to immediately, please use these resources right away:

1. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). This hotline is staffed by trained counselors and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

2. Visit The Suicide Prevention Lifeline website for helpful information, links, and crisis center locations.

3. Another website you may find helpful: Metanoia.

4. For local help with Postpartum Depresssion and other perinatal mood disorders, visit Postpartum Support International.

5. For information and help regarding self-harm and self-injury, please visit SAFE Alternatives.

Our Member Resources page can point you toward organizations to help you with specific needs.

We hope you find the help you need, and we're glad you're a part of CafeMom.

- The CafeMom Team

by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AtlantaPPDMom
by on Aug. 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM

The following are helpful resources, as well:

Blogs: 

allthatjazz251
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Are these groups free?

MissKathleen297
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Thanks for the resources.

mommy425906
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Postpartum Progress is an AMAZING resource. The woman who started it, Katherine Stone, is just awesome. That website & FB page has so many helpful things, including links to your local PPD support systems. I strongly recommend any who has PPD or thinks they do to visit that site. 

www.postpartumprogress.com

fairchildmama
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

thanks for posting this tonights one of those nights i could really use that number 

Nena70
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Notify your OBGYN for more information. You can get support groups and personal counseling to help you.

tipstermom
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I cannot stress enough to find someone that fits for you.  This is not a time to worry about hurting a therapist or doctor's feelings (like we often wrry about with a hairdresser).  If it's not working, find someone else.  Dealing with PPD (which in my case was panic and anxiety) is something too important to worry about things like that.  The MOST important thng is for you to get help and live a better life for you, your child, and your family.  For me, it was when I told my doctor everything that had lead up to my breakdown and she looked at me and said "No wonder you went nuts!"  That may not be what some people want to hear, but it showed me that she was a perfect fit for me.

Also, if you feel comfortable, get your husband/fiance/boyfriend involved as early as possible.  Take them with you to sessions so they can hear what you say firsthand and also hear what the therapist says back and suggests.  I found it very helpful for my husband to hear a professional validate that I wasn't nuts or imagining things.  I am blessed that he never thought that but it made me feel better knowing he was hearing that validation from a professional.

Lisa at Tipster Mom
http://tipstermom.blogspot.com/
Follow on FB at Tipster Mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)