Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ECT (Electoconvulsive therapy "shock treatment") Would you do it? PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM
  • 11 Replies

I posted this in another group, but its more appropriate to ask here.

Would you or have you treated your depression with ECT?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rhodaj
by rho on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:02 PM

no I wouldn't heard to much negative things about it

Elayna90
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM
No. My friends mom went through it and imo, it isn't worth the price you may pay later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:24 PM
No and I will tell u why. My grandma did it for a few years and She ended up with horrible dementia because of it, which is pretty much the only long term side effect they have seen. But it was awful. She forgot everyone, she believed people were living in her attic and she thought the neighbor was trying to plot her murder
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllThatBabyJazz
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM

I have had it. It helped me,  though it was a long road.

aka_speezolove
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Quoting annaica:

No and I will tell u why. My grandma did it for a few years and She ended up with horrible dementia because of it, which is pretty much the only long term side effect they have seen. But it was awful. She forgot everyone, she believed people were living in her attic and she thought the neighbor was trying to plot her murder

Was your grandmother of advanced age when she had it? My Dr said this is one of the reasons they prefer not to do it with older individuals.

matreshka
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:59 AM

I had it and it wiped out a good portion of my memory.  i am still feeling the effects of it with cognitive problems.  i believe the hospital i was at  to be a "shock mill" where they do it to a lot of people since its so profitable.

Cenedra64
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Just my personal opinion it scares the shit out of me. I think it's archaic and barbaric to shock someone.  I heard about how it wipes memory.  

aka_speezolove
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Quoting matreshka:

I had it and it wiped out a good portion of my memory.  i am still feeling the effects of it with cognitive problems.  i believe the hospital i was at  to be a "shock mill" where they do it to a lot of people since its so profitable.

What kind of cognitive problems? How long ago did you have it? What do you mean "good portion of your memeory"? Could you elaborate? I hope thats not too personal. I am considering this and I am trying to hear from people who have done it. Thanks.

matreshka
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM

i cant think of the words i want to use and that happens frequently, like when im in the middle of a sentence, something i didnt have a problem with before.  i dont have 2 years worth of memory from when i had ect done it wiped out the previous two years.  they told me it would come back but it never did. i had 6 series of 3 shocks each plus some monthly maintenance.  i definitely dont feel as smart as i used to be  and it did not help my depression at all, in fact it made it worse.

everyone seems to have a different experience with ect, this is just what happened to me.  somepeople say it has helped them.

Quoting aka_speezolove:

Quoting matreshka:

What kind of cognitive problems? How long ago did you have it? What do you mean "good portion of your memeory"? Could you elaborate? I hope thats not too personal. I am considering this and I am trying to hear from people who have done it. Thanks.

Tracys2
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I have heard some good things, but I don't want to mess with my memories of my kids. Maybe if they were adults (so they could understand why I couldn't remember things) and my depression was worse?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)