Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I stopped taking them

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM
  • 10 Replies

I stopped taking my meds. Well, two out of three anyway. I decided that I want to see if I can get along without it. I just feel so bad about myself because I have to take medicine to be "normal". I am only taking my anxiety medicine because otherwise I wouldn't be able to leave the damn house (social anxiety). I think I will do fine off the Tegretol & Celexa. If not, I can just start them up again. I know I shouldn't quit cold turkey but I kept forgetting to take them anyway so I just decided to not take them anymore.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rhodaj
by rho on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:09 AM
good luck
sondamom0828
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:09 AM

I wouldn't do that.  I did that before and ended up attempting suicide.  It isn't worth the risk.

matreshka
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:14 AM

good luck, you might feel mentally and physically awful for a bit but it will pass, the mood swings might get really bad.  usually when coming off meds cold turkey, going back on the same ones makes them less effective

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:28 AM

just be careful you dont get back in the same boat you were in. if you find yourself doing that i would go back on the meds. good luck!

zboys
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I found out it's better to do that under the doctor's supervision.  When I stopped cold turkey, I ended up feeling nauseous.  I think it was Effexor.

Tracys2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:55 PM

At the very least, is there anyone in your life who can monitor you and ensure you're OK? And if you're not, make sure you are safe till you are feeling stable?

I don't know your history, but I know I was a disaster when I lost my paxil abroad (cold turkey, yes) 

Naturewoman4
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:26 PM
I started forgetting to take mine when on vacation. Then I just quit altogether. I started taking them again, 3 yrs. later. Im doing better, & take them every other day. Soon I will go off maybe. Let us know how uq doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sapphiremoon143
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Please be careful i took effexor for # weeks and it mad me flip out and black out some meds will do that and if you quit cold turkey it can be bad>>>>found that out the hard way when I did that stopped celexa! please have someone help you just in case

Jen

Cenedra64
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM

just be careful...if you feel yourself sliding downhill talk to your doctor

mrsjksimmons
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I started taking them again. I realized after an emotional spaz out yesterday that I need them. A LOT. So I started them back up last night. Let me tell you that I could feel them starting to work again within a couple hours. I had only stopped taking them for 5 days so the medicine was still in my system. Now I just have to get over the drowsiness again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)