Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using your passion to lift depression?!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
3 moms liked this

When we are depressed it is so hard to pull ourselves out of the funk.  It is hard to keep moving forward much less do things out around the house.  I just read an article about ways to get out of our depressed state...and it mentioned finding a passion or purpose.  It said if you weren't sure about your passion or purpose just pick a purpose greater than yourself and go for it.  Help serve Meals on Wheels or work at your local mission/food bank.  Getting involved and helping others gives an immediate boost.  

Helping others helps us be thankful for what we have!

So maybe when I say find your passion you feel a bit lost as I have felt in the past...Here is some advice I saw on Facebook earlier with a beautiful picture :)

If you want to find yourself but don’t know where to look, search for who you were before you were told to sit down and shut up; there will be your spirit. Search for the traits you both admire and abhor; there will be your nature. Search for what you give away; there will be your needs. Search for what brings you to life; there will be your heart. Search everywhere; there will be Self trying to find its way home ~ by Sandra Kring (Visit her page for more of these beautiful and inspirational thoughts.)

Well sorry so long!  

I am going to volunteer at our local group home and perhaps meals on wheels.  

What are some of your passions?  How could you use them to help others and pull yourself out of a funk?  Where could you start helping others?  

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyLos
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM

*like*

Tracys2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I do stuff at the church about ending hunger, a tiny bit of food drive stuff, and we're working on making money for rice meals, etc. That is good and it takes away a little bit of the guilt for everything I have

What I feel would be more passionate about is working to help people on the outside of society. I'm not really sure how that would work. You know, the awkward, the unloved, the one goth kid in school... I'm not sure if I'd want to help at schools or through the church... I have no idea how. The marginalised are "my people", but as I'm socially awkward myself, I'd want to do something easier for all of us... like one on one stuff, or a group like this within a school or church community... don't know.

matreshka
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I've always believed this to be true. Right now I don't do much at all except donate clothing and sometimes money to local non-profits.  I used to do a lot of community service, such as food not bombs, other volunteering to cook and serve at soup kitchens.

Raeann11
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:34 AM

For me crocheting and knitting  help me. I crochet a bunch of hats for my midwife and Doula. When they need more those those wonderful new little ones born. They come to me for more. I am going to start adding baby booties into that too next time.

K_Marie
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM

TY for posting!

StormWarrior666
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM

i write and read on my nook or i watch tv

wolfluvinmomof3
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I do this too and also make some blankets for Project Linus. Though I don't see who they are going to just knowing i'm making a little one warmer and safer makes it worth while. Writing is another out let for me though I'm not very good at it I love the feeling of expressing myself through my writing

Quoting Raeann11:

For me crocheting and knitting  help me. I crochet a bunch of hats for my midwife and Doula. When they need more those those wonderful new little ones born. They come to me for more. I am going to start adding baby booties into that too next time.

momma2bubbas
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

thanks this is good and true.

m.

Pippi747
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM

LoveMyLos-I am glad that you like this!  What are some of your passions that you could use to help others and boost your mood?

Tracys2-I love your idea about helping the people that feel like they are outside society.  Would your plan be to give them an inner circle where they don't feel like outsiders or a place where they can learn new things?  What services would you provide for them?  Tell me more about your plan!

Matreshka-I love that you served food at soup kitchens.  This is something I have always wanted to do!  I noticed that you said that you used to do this, have you put it aside because you are busy?

Raeann11-How cool is it to know that your creations are helping new life be warm and snuggly and welcomed by something nice and hand made?  That is cool!  I am just picking up knitting and I find it amazingly therapeutic!  

K-Marie-Thanks :)  I try to post things that help me so that it can help others !  What are some of your passions that you could use to help others and boost your mood?

Stormwarrior666-I am addicted to my kindle.  Tons of books all in one place!  I also just read an article about how many health benefits and therapeutic benefits that writing can hold which I am sure you are aware of!  It is absolutely amazing how much good writing can do for you.  I also just saw a book called Writing through the Darkness that is on my to be read list because it lists how writing is beneficial for your health and I want to be able to teach others to write and get their thoughts out :)

Wolfluvinmomof3-I just had to google project Linus and It looks like an amazing thing to do and the feeling must be great to know you are giving back.  We are knitting scarves and hats for the people of the Apalacha area when it gets cold and it feels great to be helping!  Another writer?  That is awesome!  Writing is one of those things that the people that are truly good never feel like they are good at.  :)

Momma2Bubbas-Your Welcome!  I hope it helped.  What are some of your passions that you could use to help others and boost your mood?

StormWarrior666
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

i menat to say my Nook Color.... not kindle lol

Quoting Pippi747:

LoveMyLos-I am glad that you like this!  What are some of your passions that you could use to help others and boost your mood?

Tracys2-I love your idea about helping the people that feel like they are outside society.  Would your plan be to give them an inner circle where they don't feel like outsiders or a place where they can learn new things?  What services would you provide for them?  Tell me more about your plan!

Matreshka-I love that you served food at soup kitchens.  This is something I have always wanted to do!  I noticed that you said that you used to do this, have you put it aside because you are busy?

Raeann11-How cool is it to know that your creations are helping new life be warm and snuggly and welcomed by something nice and hand made?  That is cool!  I am just picking up knitting and I find it amazingly therapeutic!  

K-Marie-Thanks :)  I try to post things that help me so that it can help others !  What are some of your passions that you could use to help others and boost your mood?

Stormwarrior666-I am addicted to my kindle.  Tons of books all in one place!  I also just read an article about how many health benefits and therapeutic benefits that writing can hold which I am sure you are aware of!  It is absolutely amazing how much good writing can do for you.  I also just saw a book called Writing through the Darkness that is on my to be read list because it lists how writing is beneficial for your health and I want to be able to teach others to write and get their thoughts out :)

Wolfluvinmomof3-I just had to google project Linus and It looks like an amazing thing to do and the feeling must be great to know you are giving back.  We are knitting scarves and hats for the people of the Apalacha area when it gets cold and it feels great to be helping!  Another writer?  That is awesome!  Writing is one of those things that the people that are truly good never feel like they are good at.  :)

Momma2Bubbas-Your Welcome!  I hope it helped.  What are some of your passions that you could use to help others and boost your mood?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)