Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what have you learned from having depression?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:21 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
Have you learned anything from this group? From your therapist? Have you found out anything on your own? What have you learned about depression???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
phrenicfire89
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:51 AM
3 moms liked this

1. You can't expect to rely on every one else. Yes, you can only go so far with out outside help, but you have to help yourself first. I used to call 20 peaople in 5 monutes during a melt down, no one ever "could" talk. I had to push myself to think rationally.

2. It is beatable! I have been practically symptom free for 2 years!

3. Depression is contagious, people who are not susseptable to the symptoms like you are find it easy to walk away from you instead of staying to be sympathetic.

4. Everyone has a heart, a story and a secret. You are not the only one who has a hard time. you are never the only one suffering. Dont forget to be compationate, if you see it, be that angel of the day in someone elses life.

5. Smiling and laughing makes everything better and easier to cope with. At first it feels fake, and it wears you out to pretend, but sooner or later, those feelings will be real, even if for jsut a minute. 

annaica
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:55 AM
I agree about it being contagious sometimes... it can be hard to be supportive because it can remind you of the bad things. Great response, it is wonderful you have learned so much! Thank you for sharing!

Quoting phrenicfire89:

1. You can't expect to rely on every one else. Yes, you can only go so far with out outside help, but you have to help yourself first. I used to call 20 peaople in 5 monutes during a melt down, no one ever "could" talk. I had to push myself to think rationally.

2. It is beatable! I have been practically symptom free for 2 years!

3. Depression is contagious, people who are not susseptable to the symptoms like you are find it easy to walk away from you instead of staying to be sympathetic.

4. Everyone has a heart, a story and a secret. You are not the only one who has a hard time. you are never the only one suffering. Dont forget to be compationate, if you see it, be that angel of the day in someone elses life.

5. Smiling and laughing makes everything better and easier to cope with. At first it feels fake, and it wears you out to pretend, but sooner or later, those feelings will be real, even if for jsut a minute. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krystaldawn_21
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:28 AM
I have learned life is hard to deal with while having depression. I constantly fight myself in my head to feel ok. Sometimes I can and sometimes I just cry. I prefer no medication and just therapy cuz therapy helps me the best.
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:30 AM

i have learned that it can get pretty bad sometimes but you have to keep hanging on and keep trying different meds until you find the right one and that may take longer than you hope for.

matreshka
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I've lerarned that I'm not alone as a mom with bipolar here, that means a lot to me and to see that we are trying to hold it together.

my therpaist has taught me a lot about where my symptoms come from, how to stay in the presesnt and in reality and how to deal with the past.

i've learned its not my fault.

Tracys2
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I have learned a LOT about compassion. I always felt compassionate when I was younger, but I also felt to some extent that everybody has to be responsible for herself- ie bad grades, your fault. Lost your job, your fault.

Now, I believe a lot more in helping others and giving the rest of the world a LOT of slack, because we all have weaknesses and areas in our lives that we ourselves can't control.

That said, I do try to help myself and try to help others to do the same.

annaica
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM
Therapy helps me too... it helps me organize my thoughts better. I learned that last year post partum.

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

I have learned life is hard to deal with while having depression. I constantly fight myself in my head to feel ok. Sometimes I can and sometimes I just cry. I prefer no medication and just therapy cuz therapy helps me the best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM
I can't highlight since I am on mobile but I love the last sentence. I think many of think we're responsible for being depressed... it is good to know it isn't your fault. Thank you for sharing that!!!

Quoting matreshka:

I've lerarned that I'm not alone as a mom with bipolar here, that means a lot to me and to see that we are trying to hold it together.

my therpaist has taught me a lot about where my symptoms come from, how to stay in the presesnt and in reality and how to deal with the past.

i've learned its not my fault.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pooper41
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM

It feels awful having to be medicated to live my life.

cecilia923
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM
That I love my Medicine. it helps me out alot
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)