Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really possible to stop someone?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM
  • 6 Replies
Is it really possible to stop someone from wanting to kill themselves all the time? My brother in law is always trying to kill himself. He just recently got out of a crisis center for trying to kill himself. I saw him today and he said he is going to just shoot himself on christmas eve because taking pills and anti freeze didnt work. Idk why he is choosing christmas eve or even why he wants to kill himself. I dont know how to help him or change his mind. Is it really possible to stop someone from wanting to kill themselves all the time?
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
matreshka
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM

THe short answer is no.  My best friend killed himself even though I knew he was on a downward spiral and even called the cops on to bring him into the hosptial. I tried to get him to go on his own, if i had a car i would have brought him but i didn't.  I tried talking to his doc but hippa prevented it.

WHen I attempted no one could stop me, I stockpiled my meds, I hid my feelings, and didn't tell anyone about my trigger that finally made me snap. If my dad hadnt forgotten something at the house and found me I'd be dead. Instead I was in a coma for a week. I am beyond grateful I got a second chance.

What you can do is call the cops next time he threatens suicide, they can bring him to the ER.  You can talk to him and tell him there are so many people who feel the same way but there are ways to get help and to wait and think on his decision and get help.

anagalia011
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM

My oldest son that is 31 years old always was wanting to kill himself.  I talked to him to live for his kids.  If anything would happen to him what his kids would go through.  But,  he took a variety of pills.  I didn't know it.  When I got out of the shower got dressed and put my make up on he came to me shaking telling me he took a handful of Ambien and Lyrica.  That is my medication.  I told him to lay on his side just in case he had a seizure from taking all those pills especially Ambien.  I call 911 they took him to the hospital.  I got in my car went to the hospital.  When I got there he wouldn't tell the doctor what he took. So, I told the doctor he tried to kill himself with a handful of Ambien and Lyrica.  The doctor started working on him.  Had me sign a permission paper for him to be admitted.  He stayed 2 weeks found out he is Bipolar type 1. He was upset b/c he had received divorced papers from his ex wife.  He wasn't notified to go court.  So he had to pay out the for child support.  Plus he missed his kids.  She wouldn't let him see his kids.  He was put on medication. Every year started at Thanksgiving he wanted to kill himself.  I would have to talk to him how would you think that your kids would think if you killed yourself.  They love you very much.  How would you think I would feel if you killed yourself.  I would end up with a nervous break down.  I already have enough emotional and health problems.  I kept talking to him like this so he would start thinking about how we all would feel.  He would get alright til Christmas would start coming closer and closer.  I would have to have the same talk with him.  After that he got on street drugs.  He started taking pain pills and nerve pills together to get high. I ask him why do you do this.  He said to numb his feelings.  I took him to rehab 4 times.  He would relapse every time.  Finally he was so bad on drugs he robbed a bank.  Took all the money bought street drugs.  Then turned himself in 2 days later.  Now since he has been in prison he is back to himself.  He still has to take his medication for bipolar which helps out alot.  When he was on street drugs he is 6ft tall he weighed only 140 lbs. now he weighs 180 lbs.  He looks so much better with the correct amount of weight he should be at.  It is a hard thing to handle someone that wants to kill their self all the time.  Maybe there is someone in the family that can talk to him about how would he think his family would feel putting them through something like that.  You also can get a Mental Hygiene on him.  Tell the court that he wants to kill himself all the time.  Then the court would get him help save his life.  Only if someone in the family could just talk to him to getting help.  I know it is a hard situation.  I have been their with my oldest son.  Do your best to get him help that he needs.

annaica
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM
If I was in this situation, I would probably try to do whatever I can to get him busy and make him laugh and be happy. Maybe help him see the good things in life. If it didn't work, at least the last moments together would be memorable. Sorry you are going thru this. Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smile357
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM

First I'd like to ask if he is in counseling at all. If not can would he agree to be put in it? You can only do so much for a person. People will yell at me but my girlfriend has taught me the only one I can control is me-myself and no body else.And it can be very hard to watch. My very best to you.

AllThatBabyJazz
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Honestly? If it were me, I'd contact the facility again and let them know how he's acting 

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:28 AM

he needs help. obviously he is not getting the right thing to help him. i would hate for him to do that to himself not to mention how it would make everyone else feel. try to get him to go into a hospital and get some good treatment. thats about all you can do besides talk to him and tell him how much he is needed. i feel bad for him. he must be going through misery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)