Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

will my anxiety hurt my baby :(

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

As someone who has suffered from GAD and panic disorder for 10 years pregnancy has been extremely difficult for me. It was unexpected, unplanned, but welcomed.She is my world.

I love this baby so much already that it terrifies me to think of losing her.

I worry about her well being pretty much every second and I walk around with the most unreal fears in my head.

Im 27 weeks pregnant and the worry is just insane.

I worry:

1)her cord is around her neck and she will die in there (this one is huge lately because i feel like she is getting squished)

2) her heart will stop beating

3)she wont make it through birth/labor

4) i wont make it

I have no idea what to do with these fears. I got a therapist and meant with her last week but i feel like every night my mind is whirlign with these fears and i frequently wake up in the middle of the night and stay awake until i feel her moving.

Is there any reason my anxiety would be spiking in third trimester?

At this point would medication be even worth it? Im afraid the possibly effects of medication on her will make me even more upset.

Are my fears a premonition of what is going to happen :(

Im single, i i live alone.. i spend entirely too much time alone because its winter and driving in the snow is never a really good idea.

I dont want my stress to be hurting her... i do everything i can to make her healthy. I eat welll, I take a prenatal every day. I dont take in any medications/caffeine. I drink water all day.

mommy who suffered with anxiety through pregnancy please help...

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM

i think your fears are pretty normal for a pregnant woman. if i started worrying i would try to getmy mind on something else or try relaxation exercises. you sound like you are doing the right thing while being pregnant. i wouldnt worry. i know thats easier said than done. good luck!

JanaeAshley
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

thank you. I just get consumed in them. thats my only concern. Im going to bring it up to my ob. (they know i have a history of anxiety/depression so im assuming it wont be a surprise)

CAMKsMom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I deal with symptoms of anxiety  (and depression) that come out as agoraphobia or fear of being outside...it's not so much fear of being out of my house but more a fear of driving.  Your hormones are probably going crazy which could have an effect on the chemicals in your brain which cause you to feel anxiety.

I have spent most of my life being unmedicated by choice.  The medications have usually made me feel worse than the issue I was trying to medicate.  So many medications haven't been tested on pregnancies or can't be proved to not harm the fetus that I would have discontinued using them if I would have been taking them.  However,some women need them so as not to be a danger to themselves or others so your case would be something to discuss with your primary care physician and OB.

I spent alot of my pregnancy angry or crying most every day.  I have a fun loving, happy go lucky, playful and giggly toddler now.  You can make it...you've got 10 more weeks.  Making it beyond the first 14 weeks is a HUGE milestone in yours and your baby's favor as that's when alot of trouble can happen. 

If it might help put your mind at ease,  you could always go to a nurse (as in doctor and nurse) supply store and buy a stethoscope for pretty cheap.  It MAY allow you to hear baby's heartbeat.  Sometimes it may not work though depending on baby's position and the makeup of your body.

You can also use movements or "kicks" as a way to monitor baby's health...

http://www.firstcandle.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/KC-one-page-flyer-high-res-12.10.pdf  If she's moving, that's your reassurance that things are okay.

Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

teddybear2272
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM

i have been on and off anxeity/depression medicantions since i was 14yrs old, now 30.  and i also took lexapro during all three of my pregnecies.  i tried to go with out med will prego but it was just to much for me.  i did a low dose, 10mil for most of all 3 pregnecies.  with my 2nd one i had to up my doseage to 30, my mom was hopitalized then passed away.  and i stay on them for my post  pardum depression for 6mths afterwards.  all there of my girls r healthy happy babies!  defintly talk to ur ob about ur fears.  being so far along they may not put u on anything, but can give u some suggestions oh how to ease ur worries.  and also make sure u get on something after the baby is born.  one thing i would suggest is a journal.  all ur fears/worries r normal for a 1st time mother.  and writing them down helps.  (((hugs))) 

matreshka
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:39 AM

my 3rd trimester was the worst. i was having braxton hicks right before the start of it and every day i thought i was going in labor. your worries are normal. any meds that are for anxiety only like ativan, knonopin are not safe for pregnancy.  try to do some relaxing stretches or go to a prenatal yoga class or get a dvd

def talk to your ob/midwife about your worries. they can probably help you calm down and maybe you can get an extra untrasound to allieve your worries.

JanaeAshley
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM

thanks girls :) for some reason im feeling better this week. i had like a nightmare week of anxiety i dunno why. hormonal maybe. but im 30 weeks on thursday and i seem to be feeling a lot better.

hottmommi42
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM
There is a lot to do with hormones. It's also a bit natural to feel overwhelmed especially since this is your first baby. As long as you stay focused, and take care of yourself, and don't do anything crazy (like open your own belly just to see of the cord is wrapped kinda crazy. I know its grusome, but we read about all kinds of weird people).
I was really stressed out during ky first too. Really high anxiety, I thought for sure every time I got in the car it would blow up. but, my son is amazingly healthy, and so smart and I am still just as in love.
You're already an amazing mother if you k.ow that you are having anxiety and its not at a normal.level. that's seriously awesome! Congested on that baby, keep growing strong, you've only a few.weeks left!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanaeAshley
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

i just got told i have borderline Gestational Diabetes. They are doing weekly NST's and checking on her lots. I had one today and they said she looks perfect. Still anxiety provoking for sure. :/ but im staying positive and trying to just listen to the dr!

lucy164
by Peggy on Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM

i worried every single day about my unborn daughter and also had depression.  my daughter is grown now and she was the happiest little kid you would ever see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)