Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think????..................

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

So, 2 weeks ago I told a family member who is having a rough time that I could help them out a little with some money and I had planned on doing so........ Then last week, we had something here happen at our house that needed attention. Our Sewage pipes inside the house ( in the basement) backed up so you can just imagine the MESS we had.. My Husband began to break the cement floor and work on the problem......... The more that he dug the more and more pipes ( clay pipes) were Just gone....... The crumbled and we had sewage water under the cement and pipes broken in every direction. Usually my hubbie just fixes everything but in this case he said "I AM DONE" ( LOL) and he called a plumbing business and had them come in and fix it....... Well that was an added expence that we did not plan on!!! In the meantime my cousin txt me and asked me if I sent her the money or not because she had not received in the mail. I then txted back that I was unable to send that amount do to what we just had going on but I was able to send a different amount AT THAT TIME!!! ( Mind you they have Cell phone plans, her daughter JUST got another new phone, she gets her nails done, they have 2 new cars ect) she was then MIFFED at me and told me just to FORGET IT! I said I was sorry but that was all that I could do at that time.. She then began to rag on me and tell me rude things........ then told me not to call or txt because she had No Min left on her cell!! UMMMM, Ok...

We are a Christian family and believe in helping out family and I was willing to send something, but that something was not good enough I guess. I was going to first start out with 100.00 and then she sent me a txt ( BEFORE ALL THIS HAPPENED) that 150.00 would pay a bill.. I didn't respond to that because I knew at that time all we could do was 100.00. ( as we have 4 children, doc appts ( as 2 of my children have autism) I had an appt for my one son set up to get his braces ect....

She then called her Mom and told her that I was going to help her out and then I said I was Not helping her at all!!! AFTER I SAID I WOULD SEND 50.00 AT THIS TIME!!!! ( as that is all that I could do that week) Her mom then told my mom that she said when I needed help she was there.. Well that I could not remember.... after the Birth of my daughter she sent us a check to get her something I NEVER ASKED FOR A HAND OUT OR ANY MONEY FROM HER!!!!

It is not like I was faking what was going on here in my house things happened and that was all I could do and to her that was NOT good enough and it really hurt my feelings and it showed me that she was very ungrateful for the act of kindness that I was doing for her and her family... SO I guess my question is........ Was I in the wrong? SOMEONE SHED A LITTLE LIGHT........ Like I said I was willing to send something but AT THAT TIME 50.00 was all that we could do....

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
matreshka
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Of course you weren't in the wrong.  That plumbing issue was serious, a safety concern for the structure of your house and a health emergency too. 

Personally, if it were me, if someone was that rude about lending money I would point out to them the cost of manicures and other luxuries that if they cut down on they wouldn't have to ask for money, but that's me.

northstar_07
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

TRUST ME, I DID!!!!  She is depending on ALL OTHERS to take care of her ( she and her husband are looking for jobs JUST IN THE FIELD that they went to school in and NO ONE IS HIRING THEM) I told her that they both may have to bite the bullet and look some other direction JUST to have a Job.... They both are getting Unemployment and FS..... This has been over 6 months of Job searching for them,I mean SOMETHING has gotta give.. I think get rid of the Cell phone plans that that could have paid the 150.00 BILL, But NO ONE ( her or hubbie) wanna hear that... Her kids have cells as well ( 2)

Quoting matreshka:

Of course you weren't in the wrong.  That plumbing issue was serious, a safety concern for the structure of your house and a health emergency too. 

Personally, if it were me, if someone was that rude about lending money I would point out to them the cost of manicures and other luxuries that if they cut down on they wouldn't have to ask for money, but that's me.

matreshka
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

These days they need to take whatever job comes along. my dh doesn't work in his desired field, and very few people I know do.

Quoting northstar_07:

TRUST ME, I DID!!!!  She is depending on ALL OTHERS to take care of her ( she and her husband are looking for jobs JUST IN THE FIELD that they went to school in and NO ONE IS HIRING THEM) I told her that they both may have to bite the bullet and look some other direction JUST to have a Job.... They both are getting Unemployment and FS..... This has been over 6 months of Job searching for them,I mean SOMETHING has gotta give.. I think get rid of the Cell phone plans that that could have paid the 150.00 BILL, But NO ONE ( her or hubbie) wanna hear that... Her kids have cells as well ( 2)

Quoting matreshka:

northstar_07
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM

AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting matreshka:

These days they need to take whatever job comes along. my dh doesn't work in his desired field, and very few people I know do.

Quoting northstar_07:

Quoting matreshka:

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Um, I wouldn't send her anything after how she acted towards you. Your family is priority over hers when it comes to YOUR money. And what an ungrateful jerk to throw a hissy fit like that. It's not your responsibility to take care of her and do not let her talk down to you!

northstar_07
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I was Taken back by her reaction...... IDK why 50.00 was not okay?? I mean for now, it could have gone toward something, well I thought it could

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting northstar_07:

I was Taken back by her reaction...... IDK why 50.00 was not okay?? I mean for now, it could have gone toward something, well I thought it could

if $50 wasn't good enough, NOTHING should be perfect. Tell her to grow up and get a job.

lucy164
by Peggy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

your own family has to come first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)