Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my anxiety is flaring up

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM
  • 10 Replies
My breakdown was 4 months ago. I have been on celexa for almost 4 months now. However, last night I woke up around 2am in an almost panic attack. I was able to talk myself out of it and fell back asleep. But then I woke up around 6am dealing with the same thing. It was getting so bad I had to grab my phone in case I needed to call someone. I fell back to sleep about 30 minutes later for a short amount of time. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning to accomplish anything. On the way to take my daughters to school/daycare, I wasn't panicky, but I kept thinking 'what if I start panicking'. I am only on 20mg celexa. My Dr suggested two months ago when I had a near fallback to up my dose to 40, but I hate meds and haven't done so. What should I do? I see a therapist, my appt is actually tonight. Could this be caused by finding out my daughter has the symptoms on trichotillomania? My children having ANY mental weaknesses is something I hoped they would NEVER have to experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
northstar_07
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I was on that pill and in 4 1/2 yrs I GAINED over 70 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!  and It didnt seem to help me much My NEW doc took me off ( after I kept saying to my old doc that I didn't want this pill anymore) and I am now on 75mg of Effexor and it helps me with EVERYTHING all around even the weight issue in 2 months I have lost 18 pounds as well.............

northstar_07
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I have XANAX as well.. BUT So far in 2 months I haven't needed to take ONE PILL for anxiety!!! :o) I worried about that med as people say it can be addicting... THANKFULLY That never happened to me

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM

i take celexa and it was a great relief when i jumped from 20 mg to 40 mg. it helped me alot and i didnt have any side effects from it. i was say go ahead and take it. if that doesnt help see if your dr will give you something for anxiety.

Christy31029
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM
I have ativan that I was prescribed at the same time 4 months ago. I took it once, and it didn't do any good. Maybe jumping up to 40mg would be beneficial. Its just really hard for me to do because I want to be able to get to the bottom of this and get off of them, instead of needing more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christy31029
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM
I have gained enough to go up a pant size in just 4 months. Im not sure if the meds asre to blame, or my change of position at work. I used to stand all day, but two months ago I was moved to a new location where I sit all day.

Quoting northstar_07:

I was on that pill and in 4 1/2 yrs I GAINED over 70 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!  and It didnt seem to help me much My NEW doc took me off ( after I kept saying to my old doc that I didn't want this pill anymore) and I am now on 75mg of Effexor and it helps me with EVERYTHING all around even the weight issue in 2 months I have lost 18 pounds as well.............

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
syoumans77
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

This. 

Quoting lyrick24:

i take celexa and it was a great relief when i jumped from 20 mg to 40 mg. it helped me alot and i didnt have any side effects from it. i was say go ahead and take it. if that doesnt help see if your dr will give you something for anxiety.

Upping to 40 TOTALLY helped me.  Plus I found that with the celexa it was easier to come back down to a lower dose. Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
lucy164
by Peggy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

there are antidepressants which don't make you gain weight.  cymbalta for one.

slowandsteady
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

My doc had me add Abilify in addition to my Lexapro and I gained 20 pounds. I am now on Effexor and it seems to be helping. I would try bumping your meds up first to see how that goes. I am very similar in that I NEVER wanted to be dependent on meds, but there are chemical imbalances that we cannot control. It is not our fault. Don't be too hard on yourself. HUGS!

cindy10989
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting northstar_07:

Effexor is the best medication ever. I have been on all different stuff too for depression AND anxiety/panic, and effexor was the only thing that's worked for me for the last ten years. Check it out.

Christy31029
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM
I tried effexor xr when I was a teen and I couldn't handle the side effects. I had tremors that I couldn't get over. I quit taking it and they put me on zoloft. I was on zoloft for almost 9 years and it worked great. However my Dr this last time didn't prescribe me zoloft, even though he know I used it in the past. I didn't understand and still don't understand why. Although, after being on it for so long, I was at 200mg a day.

Quoting cindy10989:

Quoting northstar_07:

Effexor is the best medication ever. I have been on all different stuff too for depression AND anxiety/panic, and effexor was the only thing that's worked for me for the last ten years. Check it out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)