• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD Diagnosed BP/a.d.d.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my dd has been suffering from panic attacks for a while and recently saw a psych who now says she has bipolar a.d.d. and anxiety. He put her on paxil and xanax only when she needs it. The thing is, how do i know if she is really bipolar or if it's just panic attacks, or a.d.d. or whatever. All the symptoms overlap and I was just wondering if anyone has had experience putting their 15 y.o. on bipolar meds, like lithium/depakote/geodon, etc. I really don't want to do that or think she needs that heavy duty stuff ... i know the side's of lithium and think that's not a great road to go down...what do you guys think?

p.s. i'm on effexor 150 which has helped me with my own anxiety and depression, but i'm currently thinking of upping it or changing  meds (have appt tomorrow w/psych for myself) cause it seems to be losing it's effectiveness somewhat. At one point one of my many different psych's had said I was bipolar and suggested lithium but i refused. Effexor has worked well for me.

Also, I don't really trust that psych my dd is seeing.  He had originally given her xanax and told her to take it every day which i thought was wrong...

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

i would suggest if you dont agree with everything he said that you get a  second opinion.

cindy10989
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

yeah i'm waiting insurance info from dd's dad and then i'm going to get a second opinion, but get references first. I just wonder if some of those psych's out there are qualified to treat someone, this guy just seems so clueless, misses appt's shows up late, forgets what she told him last week, etc.

matreshka
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I would see someone who specializes in child/adolescent psychiatry.

I was dx'd bipolar at 14 and put on prozac and lithium at the time (back in the early '90's before the other ssri's and atypical antipyshcotics).  The prozac made my horribly manic which is one way my doc knew I was bipolar so I was switched to a tryciclic and stayed on the lithium and was stable throughout high school.  Then I went off meds once I went away to school.

Its been a hard road back to wellness.

Also, I wouldn't be giving a 15 year old that much xanax, therapy would help her out more.

lucy164
by Peggy on Feb. 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

i was told that i have bipolar 2.  i don't know if i believe it.  i take lamictal.

lucy164
by Peggy on Feb. 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

i was told that i have bipolar 2.  i don't really believe it but i take lamictal.

TwinmomAlicia
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Some psychiatrists really like to push meds. I had one put me on kolonipin because I said I had nightmares! I hope you find one that works better for you and your daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhodaj
by rho on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

First it takes more then one visit to be diagnosed  as bipolar. I would see another dr. That is allot of meds for a teenager especially since drs know that allot of these drugs leads to suicidal thoughts. Not to scare you.  Xanax is safe to take daily especially if she is countiuly having anxiety attacks

annaica
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I was told by the school psychiatrist that my son was bipolar. He was 5. What a joke!
OP - look for a second opinion, try to see if you can get to see a psychologist, someone with medication authorisation but more of a therapeutic approach.
My son has severe adhd and some sensory issues and it was hard getting used to everything in the beginning but it gets easier. Hugs

Quoting TwinmomAlicia:

Some psychiatrists really like to push meds. I had one put me on kolonipin because I said I had nightmares! I hope you find one that works better for you and your daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)