Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting up a new hobby!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

My mom got me a sewing machine for my birthday ~ awesome! I'm really excited, BUT I have no clue how to sew! I'm planning on taking classes at the craft store, but I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on things I need to get for my sewing machine. All I have is whatever it came with, so I'm starting completely from scratch. Any advice would be greatly apreciated!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
syoumans77
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Awesome hobby!  I wish I had a sewing machine, I used to love making things with my mom.  You'll need bobbins, thread (obviously), scissors (straight edge and pinking shears), a storage container (just to make it easier and neater), a seam ripper, measuring tape, pins, pin cushion (easier than keeping them in the plastic container they come in), self healing mat, fabric marker/pencils, an iron (need to make fabric nice and straight before starting a project), patterns...I found some websites that might help.  Don't forget to post pics of what you make!

http://www.sewchicandunique.com/2010/08/lets-begin-sewing-essential-tools-needed/

http://www.allfreesewing.com/Reference-Information/Sewing-Essentials#

CafeMom Tickers
kohlin91
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM
AWSOME I'm glad u found a hobby getting different color thred would help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:36 AM

im glad youre going to try it. i have a  sewing machine and used to sew all the time but dont do it anymore. im thinking about getting it out and trying again. i need to get some new supplies too. my husband really keeps encouraging me.

Sapphiremoon143
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM

i  l;ove to sew and malke alot of things! baby blankets and tote bags were my first simple pattern! No worries you'll do great!

annaica
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM
What are wanting to make?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Quoting annaica:

What are wanting to make

I really want to learn how to quilt eventually. But for starters I'd like to make a heat pillow

Mamivon3
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

That's really awesome. I wish I would know how to sew. It would help If I would be able to makes clothes or something like that. Well i stick to my doll dress making lol.

annaica
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM
One with rice in it?

Quoting leahbeah143:

Quoting annaica:

What are wanting to make

I really want to learn how to quilt eventually. But for starters I'd like to make a heat pillow

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I had one that had flax seeds in it and it ripped. I salvaged the insides, I just need to make a new pillow for it :-)

Quoting annaica:

One with rice in it?

Quoting leahbeah143:

Quoting annaica:

What are wanting to make

JansRainbow
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I am glad you found a hobby. Sweing is fun. I recently got back into myself. I bought a   sewing machine a couple years ago at Walmart; not a fancy one, but it still is nice. They have patterns that are easy to start out with. The only fabric store around here is Walmart, but they have a nice selection of fabric and craft items. Have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)