Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you overcome depression/anxiety?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

What do you do to combat depression when it strikes?

Here's an article called 9 Ways to Combat Depression- from: http://ezinearticles.com/?9-Easy-Ways-to-Combat-Depression-and-Anxiety&id=3206501

Have you used any of these methods?  Which one works best for you?

Quote:

1. Exercise

A great way to release stress is by partaking in physical activity. The pituitary gland in your body will produce endorphins (hormones), which in turn attributes to the feeling of well-being. Running and walking can be a simple and effective way of stress relief.

Scheduling time for sport and swimming (a great way of refreshing yourself), can break down the stress built up in the body.

The key here is to form a habit of exercise. Try writing in a diary, which is an excellent way in scheduling a commitment. Remember the first step is the hardest! but it will get easier with time.

Exercising is also a way of preoccupying your mind. It can also serve us by sharpening our mindset.

2. Breathing Exercises

By increasing your oxygen intake, you will ultimately energise yourself and increase your mental alertness.

One way to do this is by breathing in more deeply. Pranayam (form of breathing Yoga) widely practised in India has benefited hundreds of thousands. The following steps are one form of breathing exercise used.

A) Close one side of your nostril with you hand and leaving the other open
B) Inhale deeply
C) Close the other side of your nostril and leaving the other open
D) Exhale
E) Inhale deeply on the side of the nostril where you just exhaled.
F) Follow C and D

Always make sure you are sitting down when following the exercise and you're in a safe position.

Another form of breathing exercise is to.

A) Take four short deep breaths and exhale four breaths.

It is said breathing exercises not only helps those in depression and anxiety but can also be beneficial for high blood pressure sufferers and can cause memory improvements.

3. Keeping focused

One repetitive pattern we find with depression is getting into mistakes we may of made in the past. Beating ourselves over past deeds serves no purpose. Instead we should be thankful we made past mistakes, perhaps serving as a valuable lesson. Mistakes usually assist us in the future and can be our greatest teachers.

Keep focused on what you want and avoid the past. Remember your best days are ahead of you. Which brings be nicely to my fourth point.

4. Writing your goals (longer-term)

Lots of ideas float into our head, some can transpire into goals. Without a clear way of knowing what our goals are and how to pursue them, we can be lost. Being lost can quickly transform to confusion about our identity, which in turn can cause frustration and than depression. Break this vicious cycle

Write down your longer plans on paper and have it close by. For example:

a) Go to visit New Zealand - see Mount Cook.

b) Make sure I pay half of my mortgage by April 2012.

c) Meet five new people every month - make more friends.

5. Maintain a balanced diet

As the saying goes - 'you are what you eat'. It helps by eating the right vitamins and minerals.

By maintaining a healthy diet, you less likely to feel fatigued and generally worn out. Never skip a meal or eat snacks (think sugary foods) as a replacement, your body will pay for this during the day (sluggish afternoons!).

Tip: Bring healthy food from home e.g. sandwiches, apples, pears and AVOID fast food and soft drinks when at work.

6. Creating and maintaining a social network

....and I am not only talking about the Internet. Meeting friends and creating new ones, is a great way to share experiences, have fun and a way to discuss any problems you maybe facing. Remember 'a problem shared is a problem halved'.

This is also a great way of preoccupying your mind and avoiding thinking about things that may not matter in the long run.

By showing an interest in other people's challenges you will inadvertently make friends and worry less about your own problems that you maybe facing.

7. Short-term goals

Write down what you want to achieve this year, this month or even today. These goals can be anything from 'spending time with my children today' to 'making 5 business calls by the end of the week'.

Once you have achieved your 'mini goals' reward yourself.

8. Self-help books/Other techniques

A great way of expanding your mind and gaining knowledge is to read self-help books. I am sure many of you already have. Quality of such books varies and ultimately depends on your individual circumstances.

A great place to look is Amazon.com, before making a purchase read reviews to see what other people's thoughts are.

One interesting technique that I saw is the Panic Away program. Not only does it come with an e-book but also includes forum access, which can be helpful in discussing problems with others.

It's designed for people who suffer from anxiety. The program includes animated video content, this is very practical rather than just reading chunks of lines.

I was attracted by the price ($67.95), which is relatively inexpensive. The product may not be for everyone, especially those who are not serious in solving his or her problems. Have a thorough read on their website before making an commitment that may change your life. Visit http://www.squidoo.com/anxietystopper for more details.

9. Taking up hobbies

Hobbies can be a useful way from the daily grind of life. This can be anything that you can be interested in e.g. gardening, playing tennis. It's worth pursuing new interests, otherwise you may never know if you had liked it.

Again this is a useful technique in distracting yourself but it may also be useful in the cardio-vascular sense. Anything that raises your heartbeat in a controlled way, will give you a sense of release.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3206501

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elwalters77
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Come to this group or reach out to someone who understands.

Take a Xanax or two.

Write down goals and things I am looking forward to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM

i like to go swimming and read self-help books. i also have to have meds i think. i dont think i could do it without them. it hasnt been my experience.

rhodaj
by rho on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I do all the above. 

Tracys2
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Exercise, hobbies, churhc work (=short term goals and attempt to get RL social network- note that after 5 years of trying really hard, I am not close to anyone yet)

I've been eating better (ie skipping snacks)  the past couple of weeks! But so far, I see it as a form of punishment for being a bad person, because I hate it and haven't found a lot of healthy foods that I both like and have the time and energy to make (because you'd better believe, my family would not touch them!)

I want a self-help book, but I hate paying for it. It seems to me that this stuff should be available online for free, and I don't really want to spend $20-30 unless I KNOW there will be a benefit. I need to get to a book store and read through the books before buying. I'm VERY particular as to what annoys me and what I find helpful.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Going back to school has helped alot and I make lots of lists.

zboys
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Those are all good ideas.

tammy968
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM

IT'S SO HARD TO DEAL WITH IT. I HAVE MEA ILLNESS THAT RUNS IN THE FAMILY SO IT'S INHERITED ON MY MAMA'S SIDE. I HAVE MEDS AND I HAVE TO HAVE SOME DOWN TIME AND IT'S HARD WHEN YOU'RE A MOTHER OF A 14YR OLD AUTISTIC CHILD AND HE HAS HIS OWN PROBLEMS HE DEALS WITH.  I FIND IF I HAVE TIME TO MYSELF I'LL READ MY ROMANTIC SUSPENSE NOVELS, LISTEN TO MY MUSIC. THERE A FEW THINGS I DO TO KEEP IT AT BAY. 

annaica
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I also have a child with special needs, so I understand. Any time you have to work on your health is very important time. It is great you like to.read, that probably helps alot!

Quoting tammy968:

IT'S SO HARD TO DEAL WITH IT. I HAVE MEA ILLNESS THAT RUNS IN THE FAMILY SO IT'S INHERITED ON MY MAMA'S SIDE. I HAVE MEDS AND I HAVE TO HAVE SOME DOWN TIME AND IT'S HARD WHEN YOU'RE A MOTHER OF A 14YR OLD AUTISTIC CHILD AND HE HAS HIS OWN PROBLEMS HE DEALS WITH.  I FIND IF I HAVE TIME TO MYSELF I'LL READ MY ROMANTIC SUSPENSE NOVELS, LISTEN TO MY MUSIC. THERE A FEW THINGS I DO TO KEEP IT AT BAY. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I do a little of all of those, I think. I'm not very good at the actual excercise, but one of my hobbies is gardening, and that keeps my physically active and moving around.

matreshka
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I do breathing exercises, yoga mediation, and chanting, that seems to help me a good portion of the time.  I need to start setting some goals though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)