Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is enough enough?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have been Type 1 Diabetic for 12 years. I'm on an insulin pump. My Diabetes is "brittle" in that the slightest thing can drastically raise or lower my blood sugar. this makes it very difficult to control. My immune system is weakened because of it too.

I also have chronic depression and anxiety. I see a counselor, a psych and take two depression meds and Xanax foe the anxiety but most days it is still quite difficult.

I have sciatica that is aggravated by lifting, driving and some aspects of my job.

I have a vitamin D deficiency and Hypothyroidism.

I am so exhausted all the time that by 2pm I am done for the day but have no choice but to keep going. I usually end up falling asleep in my work clothes and makeup without brushing my teeth or testing my glucose once the kids are in bed.

I have so many issues but have to go through life as if I don't. It's become too much for me. I'm no longer cut out for work. My family and home, not to mention my health are suffering, but we can't afford for me to quit, but I can't qualify for disability if I'm working. What am I supposed to do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rhodaj
by rho on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I would still try for disabilty. When I was trying to get my disability I tried to work at a few different places.  It still took me awhile to get it but when we went to court the judge seen I was not capabale of working a full time job. Then a few years ago I tried to go back to work for just 12 hours a week that was good for 2 months then I was terminated. So I would go ahead a try for disablility.  It is better then you being misserable everyday and so exhausted

elwalters77
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM
I have been terminated from my last two jobs and both times were related to my depression.
:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

has any of your doctors been able to give you any insight into getting on disability?

elwalters77
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM
My social worker mentioned it, but no doctors have.

Quoting leahbeah143:

has any of your doctors been able to give you any insight into getting on disability?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:45 AM

yea, i would see if one of my drs would work on it with me. and if you get a lawyer get one that doesnt get paid unless you win the case. i had to quit work for a year to get on d isability and my dr worked with me. i had to get on food stamps for a while. can you get on any public assistance if you quit work or can your husband somehow handle all the bills if you quit?

elwalters77
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM
He would need to work at least 4 overtime shifts a month. The thing is, it isn't guaranteed that he'll get it and I hate making him work at that prison a minute more than he has to. Not a good environment, as you can imagine.

Quoting lyrick24:

yea, i would see if one of my drs would work on it with me. and if you get a lawyer get one that doesnt get paid unless you win the case. i had to quit work for a year to get on d isability and my dr worked with me. i had to get on food stamps for a while. can you get on any public assistance if you quit work or can your husband somehow handle all the bills if you quit?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tracys2
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM

That sounds dangerous- I hope you can find a way to get on disability- the others have given you good advice on that

matreshka
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Talk to your social worker, they are trained to get you the resources you need.  I too have mental and physical illnesses and I know how you feel, being a constant "patient" with all your health concerns is draining and doesn't help any of it get better.

I am on diability.  I had a dept of mental health social worker help me with it and got it on the first try.  But I wasn't working and I was in and out of the hospital.

shari88
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM

i am sooo sorry you are going through all of those things!!!at times i eel the same way an i have alot of issues ut im only 23 and about to have my second...so it feels like life for me is hopeless an i feel helpless but i keep working..and keep trying to maintain my home. for my kids and for their future...if there is no me what will they do. so i just cant stop. so dont you!!!please God will continue to give you strength despite your issues. that energy you get to make it those extra hours i promise you thats God giving it to you!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)