Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

I want some advice...

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

I need to grow up.... I'm 21 and still act like I'm freaking 12. I think its because I am so depressed all the time that I withdraw from everyone and just dont really have the social skills I need.....

I guess what I am asking for are some ideas to help me put myself out there more and interact with people better.

by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleacorn
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 5:03 AM
An exercise class might help. Exercise can help depression, plus you'd meet other people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 5:08 AM

well you sort of answered your own question. you need to put yourself out ther more and socialize more with grown ups. dont get me wrong there is a great thing about being a kid at heart. so keep some of that. be happy go lucky. just put yourself in situations where you have to act grown sometimes. if you are suffering from depression i would recommend a therapist. when you get the right one they can really help you. good luck!

elwalters77
by Erica on Mar. 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Great idea!

Quoting littleacorn:

An exercise class might help. Exercise can help depression, plus you'd meet other people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by Erica on Mar. 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM
I agree. A good therapist could really help.

Quoting lyrick24:

well you sort of answered your own question. you need to put yourself out ther more and socialize more with grown ups. dont get me wrong there is a great thing about being a kid at heart. so keep some of that. be happy go lucky. just put yourself in situations where you have to act grown sometimes. if you are suffering from depression i would recommend a therapist. when you get the right one they can really help you. good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:41 AM

21 is a weird age, actually the 20's in general are weird.  its good that you have identified you need to grow up. I didn't until I hit 30. LIke PP said, try going to a therapist.  Also look for meetup groups in some interests that you have and meet people that way.

JansRainbow
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Seeing a therapist would help. Also try going an exercise class. You can meet other people and exercise is good for you. I do water aerobics and I feel better after the workout. Also look into a class for fun. Check out your library and see if they offer classes. I have taken crafts classes at the library before. I go to a church and involved in all kinds of activities there. Look for support groups too. This group is great and we are here for you too,

Tana13us
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM

have you tried MEET UP? they have so many groups that i am sure you will find some that meet your interest

Serenitymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Maybe, if you dont already, get a job that requires a lot of face to face ineraction with people, like retail or restraunt or social work. Me being in the same boat, I have finally been able open up, and I'm 24. It took me working in retail to learn how to relax. It takes time and face to face practice to learn to make it easier.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:05 AM

damn.. this is an old ass post of mine...... I have changed so much since then... its actually pretty shocking to me to see some of the other things i posted on here then... .and this was barely a year ago.

O.O

childofGod995
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:02 AM

you can always google search how to improve your social skills and i am sure you will find a lot of information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN