Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Moody Teenager

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 4:38 AM
  • 8 Replies

My Son is 17 years old and  moody and quiet . He and his dad a bit of a fight recently, because his father was trying to get him to help round the house, my son just was having so a struggle.  

They use to have a close relationship now they are hardly speaking. My son is doing is 'A; level at school, and seems to have a lot on his mind but he just WILL not talk about anything.

Please can you help me

by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 4:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DeniseHarrison
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 4:42 AM
bump for you

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 5:11 AM

my son went through that when he was about that age and it was a struggle. he was put on antidepressants and they helped for a little while and he finally just got out of it.but i would watch him closely for signs of depression. not to be offensive but you might want to watch for signs of drug use also.

lucy164
by Peggy on Mar. 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM

my daughter was crying a lot during the teenage years.  i made her go to a psychiatrist and he said that she was grieving for her father who died when she was 8.  he said that's too young to really grieve then.  after a few sessions with that doctor and she became happier. she even did better at school.  so, if your son won't talk to you,  like she wouldn't talk to me, maybe he would to a mental healh proffesional.  no meds were given to her.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Honestly, it sounds normal.  Does he intend to go to college? That can put a lot of stress on a teenager especially if he is doing well in school.  I know at that age, getting into college and getting grants and scholarships really stressed me out.

I also had a very strained relationship with my mom.  I think boys and men tend to keep there emotions inside while girls and women can express them better.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM

my youngest is like that - think it's just the teen phase.  It's hard, tho & frustrating.

crystalripple
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM

..... Am not alone!!!  When I was growing up I so much respect for my parents. This teenage generation are so disrespectful.  

Thanks for your input.

Naturewoman4
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM
My kids a boy & girl both went through that starting at 17. Its normal b/c alot of things are on their mind. With being an adult soon, job/college & what their future holds. My kids were going through all that, moving out for College & when both my kids were starting to like the opposite sex. I would just let him know you love him, your interested in his future, & that your there for them. I would take them out to lunch & then let them open up if/when they want. Which is when they did. With my daugh. I had to just wait for her to want to open up. Usually when I wait, is when she would open up. My son Id have to sort of hint & ask him questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalripple
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Thank you Naturewoman, It helps to know these things and have them reforced.  

My son likes to snapped my head off for the slightest thing!!  My older children are much more relaxed. 

I know he's finding doing is A level very hard - and that is part of it too, he doesn't do his homework regular, and will not except any help from me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN