Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

what is this?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

i am bipolar with anxiety. i feel like i have my depression under control. i have desires to get out and do things. but when it comes to getting myself ready to go somewhere it seems like a chore and i dont want to do it. i want to stay in my house and not go. i have been isolating for a couple of months now. im so sick of not taking care of myself but i just cant do it. it has been a week since i have had a shower or washed my hair. when it comes to going out of town or something like that i can do it. i went to the dr and had all my lab work done and it came back normal. am i just depressed and used to being that way. why do i get so overwhelmed. what is this?

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:33 AM

To me it sounds like depression.  Like you've been stuck in a rut for so long that isolating and not getting motivated is safer for you than getting up and out.

There are days I definitely have to force myself to do anything.  I start without thinking of all the steps, just the first, and when that's completed, the next and so on.  Its a pain but its how I get anything done on some days.

Maybe try having a schedule for yourself writing in the time you shower, eat breakfast, go online anything to build a day long schedule up until bedtime.  Many people working in the hospital and day treatment have suggested this to me and it does help.

lucy164
by Peggy on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this

i think you would feel better if you made yourself take a shower and wash your hair even if you don't want to..  isolating happens often with depression, and it's the worst thing you can do for yourself.  start by just calling people on the phone.  get out in your car and go shopping.  interact with your family.  get a volunteer job.  i hope this helps you.  you give great advice to others in this group.  what would you advise someone else with the same problem?

syoumans77
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I totally agree with Lucy.  I've been feeling the same way lately, but I force myself to shower.  I only go out with DH and DD, but I do get out.  I hope you can get out of this rut soon.  **HUGS**

Quoting lucy164:

you give great advice to others in this group.  what would you advise someone else with the same problem?

CafeMom Tickers
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM

i was doing good until my dr put me on cardizem for my rapid heart rate and then i started feeling myself going down. i read up on it and it says it can have side effects of mental and mood changes. and i am sure it didnt start until then.  i was getting out. i am going to ask him if there is something else he can put me on that doesnt have that effect.

JansRainbow
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yes, check with your doctor. All medicines can have strange side effects.Sometimes you have to push yourself to do things even when we don't want to. I think you would feel better if you shower and wash your hair.That's a good ideas about having a schedule for the things you do during the day. Isolating yourself can make the depression worse.  Try to get out even if it's for a short time.Hope you feel better. Take care. Sending hugs.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I'm like that,too.  sorry & hugs.  Hope it gets better for ya.

Naturewoman4
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Sorry Melissa you're not feeling good right now.  You say you're not depressed though??  ummm.  Is your back hurting, is that why you don't want to go out much? Maybe, if you can think of something little to do & take you out for awhile, that would help?  Tiny steps.  Don't you go out with your husband?  Maybe, go to the movies, even if it's by yourself.  I do that alot.  It doesn't take alot of effort, yet it's getting me out of the house.  It might be something you will have to 'force' yourself to do.  I have to do that.  Then, afterwards I'm SO glad I did, & wonder "now why didn't I do that earlier"?  Maybe, you'd enjoy just going to a Barnes & Noble, I always enjoy that too. 

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I have the same issue sometimes, I want to go out and get things done but I have no motivation to get myself ready to go. But I force myself to get into the shower, and that usually kicks my butt into gear.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Ask about inderol/catapres.

Quoting lyrick24:

i was doing good until my dr put me on cardizem for my rapid heart rate and then i started feeling myself going down. i read up on it and it says it can have side effects of mental and mood changes. and i am sure it didnt start until then.  i was getting out. i am going to ask him if there is something else he can put me on that doesnt have that effect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)