Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a little frustrated by my friend and I'm not sure if I should be-PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM
  • 3 Replies

So I met my friend through a depression and bipolar support group. The thing is that she also has aspergers along with the bipolar. I don't know too much about aspergers other than that it is a form of autism. She is very high functioning and has even told me on several different occasions that she is aware when her aspergers is "showing". In my honest opinion, if you are aware of something then you should be able to control it a bit more than she seems to do but like I said I don't know much about the disorder. I get frustrated with her bc she is always doing her own thing and whenever she asks me to hang out with her and I can, I do, even if that means hanging out in gay/lesbian clubs when I am totally straight. I wouldn't mind so much if every time I have a suggestion on what we do, she declines my offers and goes and does her own thing. Is that part of the asperger's or is it just that she is an artist and a free spirit? I don't want to be upset with her over something she can't control but like I said she is totally aware of as she puts it "my asperger's is showing." I would love to hear from some of you ladies who have experience with loved ones who either have asperger's or autism, bc I am kind of at a loss right now.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
matreshka
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM

My BIL has asperger's and is very high functioning.  I don't know your friend but from what I see its the way my BIL can be, he is just immersed in himself.

Hilary799
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM

My son does not have Aspergers but he is high functioning Autistic. They are not like us in social settings. They don't know how to gauge other people's feelings. They go by their own feelings and what they are interested in. They also tend to take things very literally. They tend to not understand sarcasm. In cases of aspergers and autism, it is very difficult to control behavior. You don't know what will set them off or put them in a mood. Impulsivity is also a character trait. Just try to be patient with her.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

i dont know much about either one of them so im no help. sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)