Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my daughter wants 20 dollars from me

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 16 Replies

this morning my daughter went out and took my bank card and bought herself and her little girl breakfast, and then went to the groc. store and got some personal stuff for herself and her kids. it totalled about 20 dollars. then she comes home and tells me i owe her 20 dollars for her dad borrowing 20 off of her the other day. now, if she needed 20 dollars she should have ask me for it first and then got her breakfast and her grocery store stuff. she lives with us and her two kids and she pays not rent or any other bill and does very little in the house and i have to help with watching her kids. this is what we were talking about when i was in therapy. how they take advantage of me and i just was not going to let that happen today. sorry just a vent.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelicmom24
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM
She was totally in the wrong its ur bank card and should Have asked I would hide your card and if She uses again without asking report her someone who used ur card without permission sorry forget the name of that LOL but make her be an adult a not use you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hilary799
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You don't owe her money. Especially since she took your debit card and spent the money, plus never even asked. She is definitely taking advantage of you and your husband. Just be firm and let her know that since she took your card and spent $20, you and your husband now owe her nothing. I would also sit down with her and come up with some sort of contract for her to pay for groceries or half the utlities. Is there a reason she is living there? Does she have a job? That would be at the very least, something to put in the contract.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM
3 moms liked this

start keeping your purse with you at all times. that's called stealing and she's being very disrespectful.

KimmyShaw
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Girl, you need to lock your card up! Sorry she is so unappreciative...

matreshka
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I'm glad you are putting your foot down.  I also think its time she finds her own place to live.  I'm sorry she is being like that.

JansRainbow
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I agree with the others. Keep your card and purse away from her. She should help you with the bills. She is taking advantage of you.Sit down with her and tell her this can't go on that you have new rules and if she can't or won't agree to them, then she can find another place to live. That's nice you help out; but there are limits. Have to be firm with her. Don't let her pull you down.

mrsvixen
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Change your PIN so she can't do it again

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I want to add: I live with my parents as well. I don't pay rent, and I don't help with bills. BUT I do A LOT of work in the yard, I help clean the house, and I would NEVER EVER in a million years take money from them. My dad tried to pay me for mowing the yard and I refused. I work full time and I help with food, meals, etc. If your daughter continues to do this, I would press charges. She's not learning anything when you continue to let it go. I know it sounds harsh, but the longer you enable the more she's going to do it. I'm really sorry she's doing this to you, but only you can put a stop to it. HUGS!

MomofJaR
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I say you go to your bank and put a stop on that card, order yourself a new one and when she goes to use the old one let it get declined and let her be embarrassed.  She was grown enough to have her own kids then she needs to grow up and have her own money.

Tracys2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree-- MIL has issues with her younger daughter and makes her pay for groceries when living there (SIL has 7 kids still living at home, so it's significant!), and people still say she's being taken advantage of! Maybe things are going to need to include more formal responsibilities on her part, and nobody borrows anything from each other without putting it in writing. That just leads to confusion and fights

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)