Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vow to always treat yourself well in honor of Mental Health Awareness Month

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

Why don't we treat ourselves as kindly as we treat others? Let's make a promise to be better to ourselves - in letters!

writing

I'll go first:

Dear self,

I should be treated well because I am a human being with feelings. I deserve to be happy and feel good just as much as everyone else does. It is not selfish to be kind to myself. If I don't treat myself well, I will not be able to be there for my family and friends when they need me, and I will not enjoy life as much.

Love always,

Kristin

Your turn! Write your letter in the replies below. You can start the same way I did, or just write about what you're feeling. You can continue to update your letter throughout the month -- and the year!

And remember, this letter doesn’t have to go any further than the safety of CafeMom’s walls, so feel free to let all your emotions flow -- the good and the bad. Or, if you’d prefer, share it on Facebook -- or other groups on CafeMom -- to help spread awareness and hope.

Most importantly, use this letter as a reminder to be kind to yourself, always.

i rock

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

great post & reminder!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Dear Self,

I promise not to judge me because I do have self worth, even though I am not perfect.  I do the best I can with what I have.  Just because I have depression that doesn't make me or my life any less worthy than those who don't deal with mental illness.  When things are bad and I am struggling to continue, just remember, I mean the world to my daughter.  I am more precious than silver or gold to her.  I am loved more than her favorite toy and she needs and wants me in her life, even when I am having a bad day.  I promise not to kill myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Dear Self~

You know it's not your fault. Try to let the guilt about the kids go... Stop feeling guilty... 

Krwgilbert10
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Dear Self,

I know I've been though a lot in 26 years but I'm making it every day. Every day the sun comes up I promise to find something good to say about me. Just because I'm bi polar and schitofrenic(sp?) doesn't give me the right to give up. Carson needs me being he is no polar and only 4. I'm the only one in his little world who has a glimmer of understanding as to what he is going through. Stay strong for the 2 of you if nothing else. You need each other. " stuck like glue "

With love always,
Kendra
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM
dear amber: you are worth every breath you take. You deserve your bf and your children. It wont always be this hard. Some days may be harder and there will be days that are a lot better. You have the power to change your situation, life, world. You are strong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWithANikon
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I'm gonna book mark this for later lol.

rosiemendo
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Dear Me,

I am so happy that I've already made choices to treat myself better and will continue to do so.  I will not end up in that awful place again.  I am a worthwhile human being with a lot to offer.  I am slowly taking my life back and things are finally looking up for me.  I vow to work on getting stronger every day and encourage my fellow "sisters" here and on Facebook to do the same.

Yours Truly,

Rosie

leahbeah143
by Leah on May. 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM

dear self,

you've been treated badly by other people in the past, that's no reason to treat yourself badly. time to stop beating yourself up about things that you can't control, and to focus on making life amazing for yourself and your daughter. you deserve the best, and don't ever settle for less than that!

Love always,  Leah

momma2bubbas
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Dear Self,

I am growing. I am gaining awareness. I am continually striving for inner peace

by setting boundaries and staying in tune with my mind, body & spirit. I am a spiritual

being inhabiting a human body. I learned this yesterday from Deepak Chupra-- and 

it makes complete sense. I will continue to open my heart to love. I will try not to judge

others, because when I do this, I judge myself. I believe in Karma. For every reaction, there

is an equal and opposite reaction. I get what I put out. Some days will be better than others.

I will have setbacks. I will not punish myself for this. I am human. I am working hard to be

spiritual. I am working hard to BE.  The present is all I have. 

m.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Dearest Me,

Being sensitive is okay. There are a lot of stregnths in being sensitive, I am compassionate, and I know myself really well.  These are good things.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you have come so far in the past few years.  The past must stay in the past and I need to stop beating myself up over my mistakes.  The best thing I can do is move forward positively.

I will ask for help when I need it, and communicate better with the ones I love rather than bottling up my thoughts and feelings until I explode.  It only hurts me to do this.

I am intelligent and caring, and I can use these gifts to help others, and myself.

I am a good person, everyone stumbles, what matters is picking yourself back up and trying to do better bit by bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)