Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Vow to always treat yourself well in honor of Mental Health Awareness Month

Posted by   + Show Post

Why don't we treat ourselves as kindly as we treat others? Let's make a promise to be better to ourselves - in letters!

writing

I'll go first:

Dear self,

I should be treated well because I am a human being with feelings. I deserve to be happy and feel good just as much as everyone else does. It is not selfish to be kind to myself. If I don't treat myself well, I will not be able to be there for my family and friends when they need me, and I will not enjoy life as much.

Love always,

Kristin

Your turn! Write your letter in the replies below. You can start the same way I did, or just write about what you're feeling. You can continue to update your letter throughout the month -- and the year!

And remember, this letter doesn’t have to go any further than the safety of CafeMom’s walls, so feel free to let all your emotions flow -- the good and the bad. Or, if you’d prefer, share it on Facebook -- or other groups on CafeMom -- to help spread awareness and hope.

Most importantly, use this letter as a reminder to be kind to yourself, always.

i rock

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Replies (11-17):
Angellinda
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Dear Before & After Cancer me;pink ribbon

Don't judge yourself so hard. You know what your body went through was brutal. You can't help what Cancer did! You know you didn't do anything wrong!! Remember.. the best is yet to come!!

JansRainbow
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Dear me, just because you have been hurt by many, doesn't mean you have to hurt yourself. You are a good person. A  very compassionate and caring person. You have been through a lot in your 54 years. You deserve happiness even when you think you don't. Don't let the depression take over. You can fight this. God is for you. He loves you and always is there for you. Don't worry,  I have God on my side.

rhodaj
by rho on May. 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Dear Self

I will not be judged by others due to my disabilty. I will do what I can with the knowledge I have of myself. I will do self-talk when I have negative thoughts. 

zboys
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Dear Self,

I know you've been feeling like crap these past few weeks, but all those things that have happened to you were not your fault so quit beating yourself up over something that is/was beyond your control.  You're a great person and you deserve to be happy so lighten up.  Thank you for listening.

Love,

Your Self

zboys
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

This was my first time ever to do this exercise.  Thanks for the idea!  It is interesting and I think it will really help me out not only to feel better tonight but also to use it again and again in the future.  : )  Plus, I want to share this idea with my counselor next week.  : )

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Dear self,

Im sorry for all the hell that i have put you through over the years i now realize that you are worth loveing and that you deserve the best in life and that no one not even yourself has the right to put you down.

Brendi2011
by on May. 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I need to promise myself to not worry about the things that I cannot control.  Try to keep positive and look up NOT down!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)