Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

social gathering - major anxiety!!!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm very proud of both my sons.  They have received first honors with their grades for the entire school year!  Having said that, there is an awards night this wed. night honoring all the kids with first honors.  Any social thing like this just feels like it's too much to handle with all the anxiety.  They are having food in the cafeteria first & then the awards in the auditorium.  It's very nice the school lis doing this.  I am super proud of my boys - just hate this awful anxiety.  I can't not go, but ugh!!!  Wish I didn't have to deal with social stuff. 

Other piece of this is I've felt so judged & cut off since becoming a single mother - doesn't help.  I feel shunned or something.  Some ppl here are so weird & rude.  Thx for listening.  Wish me luck!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

can you take something before you go to help you stay calm? or do relaxation exercises. just stay to yourself and eat and sit in the auditorium. you can just talk to your boys. ive had to attend stuff like that and i just talk to my kids or my husband. take a friend if you would feel better. dont worry about them judging you. you have apparently done a great job as a single mother and thats something to be proud of.

deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Yes, I'm on anx. meds & do meditate, self-talk,etc. to calm myself.   It's still so hard - hate it.  I'm all alone - nvr anyone to go with me anywhere.  I do just try to focus on my boys w/ stuff like this, but I know during the refreshments they'll be with friends.  Can't blame them.  Thank you for your kind words.  I have done a great job, but need to hear it.  Your post means so much.  It does help.  Thanks bunches!!! 

rhodaj
by rho on May. 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Congradulation on your sons. I know how hard it is to go to social things but remember this is for your son's. I also deal with going to things like that I know where the exits and bathrooms are at so if I need to escape quickly 

Good luck

lucy164
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

i had a hard time with social anxiety until i told myself there are a lot of worse things that other people have,  like  like being thieves being liers etc.   people accept me being quiet so i'm comfortable now.  good for your sons

deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting rhodaj:

Congradulation on your sons. I know how hard it is to go to social things but remember this is for your son's. I also deal with going to things like that I know where the exits and bathrooms are at so if I need to escape quickly 

Good luck

Thx rhoda!  It helps. :)

deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Quoting lucy164:

i had a hard time with social anxiety until i told myself there are a lot of worse things that other people have,  like  like being thieves being liers etc.   people accept me being quiet so i'm comfortable now.  good for your sons

Thx for your kind response! :)

deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM

my stomach is in knots - gotta get thru this tonight....

KeriAZ
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Take a deep breath. It will be over before you know it. I think u did an amazing job with ur boys. Try to focus on them. How old are they?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome your son's are doing so well.  Just focus on that.  I know the social stuff is hard but if you get into a conversation just keep it light about how wonderful the program is and how nice it is the school is doing this. Stuff like that.  That's how I get through things, even if my heart is pounding on the inside.

deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KeriAZ:

Take a deep breath. It will be over before you know it. I think u did an amazing job with ur boys. Try to focus on them. How old are they?

thanks - they're both in high school this year which is scary enough LOL!  B is in 9th & J is in10th grade.  It goes so quick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)