Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Zoloft and Ambien during pregnancy. Please reply if you have also taken these meds throughout your pregnancy!!

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi,

I am still in my first trimester but I have so much anxiety it's out of control.  I am on zoloft 100 mg and ambien 15 mg for sleep.  Sometimes I take about 5 mg of ambien during the day as well because it helps calm me down. 

But on top of my regular everyday anxiety I'm now anxious that I am hurting the baby because of the meds I am on.  They have been approved by my doctor but I'm stll not convinced my child will not suffer some long term effects.

I was hoping to hear from other moms who have been on an anti depressant And Ambien and their babies turned out ok.   I really wish I could get off at least the ambien but I have bad insomnia and this is the only thing that works for me.

Help, Can you please share your story with me?  thanks so much!

by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not been on meds while pregnant.  I would talk to a psych doc if you haven't already and see what the potential risks and benefits are.  I know women who have been on zoloft and its been okay but there are lawsuits out there now for birth defects.  I'm not trying to scare you just give you info (hugs)

Angelicmom24
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM
I am pregnant as Well I've been told as you get further along ambien has effects to put you in labor and the baby can also get used to that drug and Have with draws after birth..so hope this helps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daisy54321
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

thanks ladies.  i hope some women chime in who have had their babies or are currently pregnant and have taken ambien and or zoloft.  i'm looking for some peace of mind because i am Paranoid!!

thank you!

Burnz
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
I always went off my meds while pregnant. If you have already talked to your doctor and he approved them, then really you have to make that decision. You might want to talk or call the makers of the drugs and ask them. Getting on their website and checking there too....
Have you ever tried Melatonin for sleep? It is natural, but not sure about safety for pregnancy.
IMO, you will have to make a choice you feel comfortable with. It will not help you or the baby to be anxious the whole time your pregnant. :(
Good luck with your decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Burnz
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM
http://www.babycenter.com/400_zoloft-during-third-trimester_945399_529.bc

This is a link i found on google...may shed some light. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I took Lexapro-an SSRI which is the same family as Zoloft-while pregnant and before-at age 2 my son was diagnosed w/Autism-now there are links to Autism and Mom taking anti-depressants while pregnant-class action lawsuit going on w/drug manufacturer...

happymommy1105
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I went off my .Meds when I found out I was preggo. I didn't like the risk v benefit list.

I am 13 weeks now and have been off them since the middle of march (when I found out). I have evened out a lot. The first few weeks were very difficult though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soccermomboysx3
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I was on Zoloft when I became prenant with my second child, I tried to stop taking it cold turkey, and I did not feel well. The doctor said that it would be safe for me to take while I was prenant, although I did slowly come off of it. I have 3 boys, my second child has been diagnosed with ADHD. He has always been a little more difficult than the other boys. I can't say that this was caused by Zoloft, or middle child syndrome, it is just the way it is. I would try to get off of the medication as soon as possible, but don't go cold turkey... that is not healthy!

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM
I was on Zoloft during my whole 2nd(Mid 2008 to Spring 2009) and 3rd(2011 until October) pregnancies. As far as I can tell at this point..both children have not had any side effects.
starlite511
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I had very bad depression during my pregnancy after I weaned off my antidepressant due to potential harm to the fetus. My midwives recommended I go on Zoloft during the pregnancy, as it is the safest one to use during pregnancy (and breastfeeding) and doesn't have any side effects to the baby. I decided to wait to go on it until after I had the baby, but looking back I wish I had gone on it during my pregnancy. My baby is two weeks old and I'm now treating my depression with Zoloft and it's hard. No one should have to be that depressed during pregnancy. There's still a lot they don't know about antidepressants and pregnancy but Zoloft is one that is commonly used. My depression didn't get really bad until the 3rd trimester but if you're feeling this bad in the first trimester, I would consider taking the medicine. A lot of women take medication during their pregnancies and their babies are just fine. Sure there are risks but there are risks with everything and like I've already stated, Zoloft comes with a very low risk of use during pregnancy. I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope it gets better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN