Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

In Your Opinion....

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM
  • 16 Replies
How did you know your meds were working for you? How do you draw the line between what the meds are doing and what you have to do on your own?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

i knew my meds were working when i stopped having all the crying spells and i felt a sense of happiness and wanted to go back to work. which i havent done in 15 years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I believe that unless it's a psychosis type diagnoses ... Meds are just a crutch .... A stepping stone which helps you "feel better" (because chemicals and hormones are changed) ..... Sometimes that stepping stone is necessary in order for you to put the work in to a recovery plan (counseling, conversation...etc)

In my case. I'm on two meds ... I've been on meds in the past and never done therapy have only had temporary phases of relief from my depression and anxiety. ... This time along with meds I'm going to therapy, learning to meditate, being honest with myself and everyone around me ... And I'm currently 35 days sober ...... I believe the meds have a role because once they kicked in, I was able to start putting in the work ...
I plan on being on the meds for a year (which is recommended with almost any RX) and after I'm off the meds I'll keep up with the work.

So.... How did I know if/when the meds worked? I was able to recognize stress and it's triggers and approach them differently .... Something I was never able to do.
I do believe though that that is all possible without meds - once you get the hang of it.............. EXCEPT in a few cases.
matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Its really an individual thing. For me the meds just keep me out of the hospital. I have had to learn many coping skills to stay healthy. I dealt had to.learn my mood triggers and bipolar phases which are actually pretty regular for me.

I do arteork meditate and get outside and in the gym it all helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curvylady
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

for me i see a med dr once a month who helps me. i will go days without thyem and it never ends up good. i have tried so many meds in the last year. therpy also helps. i get the tools but it only works if i use them.

lucy164
by Peggy on May. 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

it's really obvious when they start working.  you feel great.  i don't understand the second question.

Burnz
by on May. 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM
I was asking because I have struggled with my meds for years. I have never found anything that gives me that feeling of real happiness. I still feel tired all the time with low motivation. I get up and do things because I am a stay at home mom and I have no choice. :). I just kinda get by.
I know meds are not a cure all and I have to work through my issues that cause and worsen my depression.
I just hate putting these drugs in my body if they are not helping me with my get up and go. Im just wondering what normal feels like. I haven't had it in so long. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by on May. 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM

When I used to take Celexa for example I knew it was working when I felt more relaxed and calm at work.  At home I was able to sleep through the night without any anxiety.  I didn't know what I had to do on my own until I went to see a therapist and discussed my issues with her.

On another note I did some research and was able to diagnose myself with CAPD which was confirmed by an audiologist.  It helped me understand having CAPD can make my anxiety worse too. To help reducing anxiety I saw a speech therapist to teach me how to best communicate with others.

Alex825
by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I no longer Self-medicated myself with alcohol. Thats the truth. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Quoting emarin77:

When I used to take Celexa for example I knew it was working when I felt more relaxed and calm at work.  At home I was able to sleep through the night without any anxiety.  I didn't know what I had to do on my own until I went to see a therapist and discussed my issues with her.

On another note I did some research and was able to diagnose myself with CAPD which was confirmed by an audiologist.  It helped me understand having CAPD can make my anxiety worse too. To help reducing anxiety I saw a speech therapist to teach me how to best communicate with others.

What is CAPD?
deltathree
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I think it depends if your dep. is chemical or situational.  Also, if you're doing therapy or other coping methods.  Everyone is different, too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN