Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

As a woman, how do you deal with car repairs? (piog)

Posted by   + Show Post

I went to get an oil change and they came back saying I needed $535 in car repairs, serpentine belts, something with one of the back wheels knocking and labor costs.  I am always leery of getting duped because I am female because it has happened before.  DH knows less than me about cars.  What should I do to ensure I need the work, especially the serpentine belts done?

by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Replies (11-12):
mysticalgoddess
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Auto-zones run tests for free. They even give you a printout of the codes and what they can possibly mean.

Quoting JenaSmith:

I know some and even change my own oil. My dad and me will work on my jeep. I learned along the way the basics. I watch the people when i take my car somewhere and when they look at other stuff i tell them no that i am only here for my tires. Only time i take my jeep is for my tires to get rotated or put on a rim. With my kids father he took it to a place to hook it to the computer charge 50 that was fine. But when they tried to charge another 50 cause the first test didnt run right. I stepped in and told them they can shove it that we was not paying for there mistake of not doing it right the first time. Needless to say i only paid the first 50. I am a short girl too lol. I hate when mechanics try things like that just cause we are women. Always get a second opinion and your smart you did. Also places were i live like the ones who sell the parts they sometimes can tell you a thing or two that is free or even hook it up to there computer for free. Good luck

zadesmom1998
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Sadly I know nothing about cars. And df is an over the road truck driver. I do have my bill and DS 14 knows a lot too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)