Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

What are the most common anxiety disorders?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM
rho
  • 5 Replies

• Panic Disorder – Characterized by “panic attacks,” panic disorder results in sudden 

feelings of terror that can strike repeatedly and sometimes without warning. Physical 

symptoms of a panic attack include chest pain, heart palpitations, upset stomach, 

feelings of being disconnected, and fear of dying. 

• Obsessive-compulsive Disorder (OCD) – OCD is characterized by repetitive, intrusive, 

irrational and unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or rituals that seem impossible 

to control (compulsions). Some people with OCD have specific compulsions (e.g., 

counting, arranging, cleaning) that they “must perform” multiple times each day in 

order to momentarily release their anxiety that something bad might happen to 

themselves or to someone they love. 

• Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) – When people experience or witness a 

traumatic event such as abuse, a natural disaster, or extreme violence, it is normal to 

be distressed and to feel “on edge” for some time after this experience. Some people 

who experience traumatic events have severe symptoms such as nightmares, 

flashbacks, being very easily startled or scared, or feeling numb/angry/irritable, that 

last for weeks or even months after the event and are so severe that they make it 

difficult for a person to work, have loving relationships, or “return to normal.”

• Phobias – A phobia is a disabling and irrational fear of something that really poses 

little or no actual danger for most people. This fear can be very disabling when it 

leads to avoidance of objects or situations that may cause extreme feelings of terror, 

dread and panic. 

• Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) – A severe, chronic, exaggerated worrying about 

everyday events is the most common symptom in people with GAD. This is a worrying that lasts for at least six months, makes it difficult to concentrate and to carry out 

routine activities, and happens for many hours each day in some people.

• Social Anxiety Disorder – An intense fear of social situations that leads to difficulties 

with personal relationships and at the workplace or in school is most common in 

people with social anxiety disorder. Individuals with social anxiety disorder often have 

an irrational fear of being humiliated in public for “saying something stupid,” or “not 

knowing what to say.” 

People with anxiety disorders are more likely to use or abuse alcohol and other drugs 

including benzodiazepines, opiates (e.g., pain-killers, heroin) or cigarettes. This is known as 

self-medication. Some people use drugs and alcohol to try and reduce their anxiety. This is 

very dangerous because even though some drugs make people feel less anxious when they 

are high, anxiety becomes even worse when the drugs wear off.

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM

i think i would call mine generalized anxiety disorder.

Manth
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I have panic attacks, Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder.  It really sucks!

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I have PTSD and while it greatly disrupts my life sometimes treating it and healing is possible, but it is a slow process.

lucy164
by Peggy on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM

i think i have gad.  i knw i have social anxiety, but it seems to be lessening.  i have ptsd also.  whatever i have, my anxiety ruins my life.

sweetmissy_05
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I have depression, anxiety, and borderline personality disorder, I think mine is generalized anxiety disorder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)