Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Natural Antidepressants

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 3 Replies

I am currently 25 weeks pregnant, and last week I talked to my dr about taking wellbutrin. I was taking it before I got pregnant, and it was working well for me, but stopped when I found out I was pregnant. I have been good at keeping my depression from getting away from me, that is until lately. So, he wrote me a rx for some more. I was hesitant in taking it, because I didn't want it to hurt the baby. He said that its completly safe, and whatnot. I had done research on it, and found that alot of the info was on first trimester studies. I still didn't want to take it, but I felt like I didn't know what else to do.

When I got the bottle, it said on there that 3rd trimester usage could cause harm. Um...what!? I took it for 2 days. I was so sick I wanted to die. I had a headach the whole time, and I couldn't sleep. I wasn't able to function with it, and that wasn't worth taking it anymore. It didn't do that when I was taking it before. I still had that gut feeling that I shouldn't be taking it, and so with all the extra side effects, I stopped. I still felt sick the day I stopped, but now I feel fine. I also did even MORE research and found that taking it in the 3rd trimester can cause other issues with the baby. I am a person who thinks that things happen for a reason, so maybe my body just rejected it because it could harm my baby.

So my question is, do any of you know of any natural things I could take that actually are safe while pregnant? I don't feel like I can just get through without something.

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest therapy if your not doing it already. I went off meds when I was pregnant because of the potential risks.  Therapy with learning coping skills did help me alot during pregnancy.

Omega 3's are good to and good for your baby's development. I would do flax oil or other plan omegas just to keep the risk of toxins from fish oil out of your system.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Flax oil is good.  With any natural or holistic therapy, it's always best to not only read up on the pros but also the cons and learn what NOT to take.

Wikipedia is a good starting point but, truthfully, find a natural practitioner in your area (or even in another state and correspond via email) and ask a lot of questions.  Never accept someone's "folklore" answer - get it from a certified source.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

i dont know of anything natural but could you try using another antidepressant that your dr would prescribe and see if that would make you sick also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)