Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

At end of my rope

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I'm under paid. Yes I make more than some people, but  with 10 years experience I should make more. I'm looking at moving and kind of fibbing my resume because I think my old job may be the reason I am not getting ahead. I sued them..I won. I have no idea what they say when potential employers call them. I don't have the $55 extra right now to use one of those companies that call and basically pretend they are a potential employer. I think we're just going to move to a new state and I will try to erase that job from my resume. Thing is here...you actually truly get hired more by who you know than what you know. I'm getting more depressed about maybe moving because dd is starting high school. I'd hate to move her 2 months in but I can't keep accepting mediocre pay. My current employer can't give me a raise to what even he says I am worth so I'm stuck. Ok thank you rant over.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xLilBit22
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Damn. I'm sorry to hear this. Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

you might just have to move to get a better paying job. im sure your child will adjust.

Tracys2
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

That sounds tough- but if you're going to move, moving at the beginning of HS is so much easier than junior or senior year, with all the closer friends, fun and college application stuff.

"Who you know" is important everywhere, but I'm sure it's more so some places than others. Seems so unfair, especially for those who are socially anxious or otherwise not well-connected, but who may be fabulous workers

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

hugs! I think a lot of employers are struggling to pay people what they are actually worth. But if you can move and make what you should be, your dd will be fine! She might be upset at first, but she will have to understand that you have to do what it takes to support the family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

That is true. I hadn't thought about that part. Here they barely take your resume unless you personally know someone and I am kinda shy so I don't know the right people 

Quoting Tracys2:

That sounds tough- but if you're going to move, moving at the beginning of HS is so much easier than junior or senior year, with all the closer friends, fun and college application stuff.

"Who you know" is important everywhere, but I'm sure it's more so some places than others. Seems so unfair, especially for those who are socially anxious or otherwise not well-connected, but who may be fabulous workers

MommysTimeOut5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Feel better, I understand being underpaid. I chose the non profit field and that is very low pay and high insurance. Just hang in there and pray.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think too many people are paid what is fair or right. Jobs that used to pay 15-18/hr are now paying 10-12/hr and if we're not willing to work for that, someone else will. Dh has 15 years experience in his field, and JUST got a union job. Is a very sad economy right now.
happym0m0f3
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Can u ask your employer to help pay for some benefits or extra time off? Sometimes that makes a difference. You can choose to not list that employer but if they check your employment history and it is listed w dept of labor, they'll ask why u didn't list it. You can say that you felt that it wasn't relevant to the current position but they'll always wonder what else you aren't telling them. just saying.

anotherandree
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM

That sucks.  Sounds like a damned if you do and damned if you don't type situation.  I hope some solution presents itself.  Sometimes you have to step outside of the situation to see the solution.

ma1234
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)