Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Should I go back to see my dr? UPDATE

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have been depressed for as long as I can remember. I was on Celexa from the time I turned 18. In December of 2010, I decided to stop taking it because I felt that I was finally happy. I have been doing great since then but my SO left on deployment a month and a half ago. Ever since then, I spend most of my time in front of the computer when DD is sleeping (which is almost all the time). He is currently 7 hours ahead of me in time zones and goes to bed really early compared to the time it is here. After he goes to bed, I feel like I have no motivation to do anything. Most of the time, I just sit here and cry. Since I'm okay during the day when I can talk to him, I'm not really sure if it's my depression or just the normal reaction to having someone so close to me being gone for so long. I don't know if it would be a waste of time going back to my doctor and I really don't want to take unnecessary medication. I don't know what to do but I'm tired of feeling this way... What do you think I should do?

UPDATE

Thank you ladies so much for your help. I went back to my doctor today to see what she thought about the situation. I'm not bak on my medication just yet because I really don't want to take it if I don't have to. She told me that she thinks I'm holding up great but if I ever felt like I needed to start taking my Celexa again, not to worry about going in and just to call her and she would put the perscription in for me. Thanks again!

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I say go back to your dr. Clearly you dont like how youre feeling and since meds once helped you, you may need them again. If your dr thinks its just a case of missing your hubby, maybe therapy or support group for moms with deployed husbands. I dont know for sure since Ive never been in your situation, but I will tell you I admire your strength. I always swore Id never marry a man in the military ONLY because I know Im not strong enough to have a hubby get deployed. I have this fear of being alone. I admire you mama! Stay strong and check with your dr. If there is relief for how you feel then it would be worth it. Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words :)

Quoting ashleighmama:

I say go back to your dr. Clearly you dont like how youre feeling and since meds once helped you, you may need them again. If your dr thinks its just a case of missing your hubby, maybe therapy or support group for moms with deployed husbands. I dont know for sure since Ive never been in your situation, but I will tell you I admire your strength. I always swore Id never marry a man in the military ONLY because I know Im not strong enough to have a hubby get deployed. I have this fear of being alone. I admire you mama! Stay strong and check with your dr. If there is relief for how you feel then it would be worth it. Good luck mama!

leahbeah143
by Leah on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

My ex was in the Navy and I cried A LOT when he was gone. Looking back it was probably post partum, because it was right after dd was born. There should be spouse support for you, do you live on base?

nataliesmom2012
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM

No I don't but I work on base. I've been to fleet and family before and they never helped.

Quoting leahbeah143:

My ex was in the Navy and I cried A LOT when he was gone. Looking back it was probably post partum, because it was right after dd was born. There should be spouse support for you, do you live on base?

liz.1986
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM
I am a military wife so I know how you feel. Definitely make an appt with your doctor. They will most likely prescribe you something low dose to see how it works for you and direct you to Military One Source. The military is very compassionate to spouses of deployed personnel. They will work with and help you any way you can. I suggest making a friend who's spouse is deployed as well, that way you can have someone to relate to irl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Since we're not married, will they still help? When I bring it up to my COC at work (I'm also active duty) they laugh at me because I "should have known better" or I "need to get over it" since I know what its like.

Quoting liz.1986:

I am a military wife so I know how you feel. Definitely make an appt with your doctor. They will most likely prescribe you something low dose to see how it works for you and direct you to Military One Source. The military is very compassionate to spouses of deployed personnel. They will work with and help you any way you can. I suggest making a friend who's spouse is deployed as well, that way you can have someone to relate to irl.

liz.1986
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Damn, I just asked my husband and he said since you're not married no they won't be as quick to help. He said the best you can do is go to Behavioral Health and speak with a psychiatrist and maybe he can prescribe you something and some suggestions on how to cope.

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

Since we're not married, will they still help? When I bring it up to my COC at work (I'm also active duty) they laugh at me because I "should have known better" or I "need to get over it" since I know what its like.

Quoting liz.1986:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Thank you!

Quoting liz.1986:

Damn, I just asked my husband and he said since you're not married no they won't be as quick to help. He said the best you can do is go to Behavioral Health and speak with a psychiatrist and maybe he can prescribe you something and some suggestions on how to cope.

Quoting nataliesmom2012:

Quoting liz.1986:

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I'm not military so I don't know how it works but can you get counceling to see if that helps before trying meds again?

ShugarD
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

How were u feeling when u were seeing ur Dr? If u feel that u were doing better and feeling more confident and positive about urself and ur life when u were going to see this Dr. then "YES" I feel that u should return to see the Dr.

I'm on medication also but the meds aren't working for me and all I do is sit around doing nothing and busting out crying. I don't want to be bothered with any of my family members that I would talk to each and every day for hrs at a time or my friends/associastes, anybody. I only go out of the house when I have to go out and take care of business, never to socialize like I use to do.

Maybe u don't need the drugs to help u get thru what ur going thru and instead u need a councelor to talk  through what ur going thru on the inside. What we feel on the inside reflects what we do on the outside.. U miss ur friend/partner a lot and there is definitely nothig wrong with that, but with the enormous time difference between u it's very hard for the both of u to keep up with each other long enough for u to get over what ur feeling. He "IS" ur ambition to do what u need to do, but u must have ur own ambition also. My ambition use to be my children, when they were younger I knew that they needed me in order to survive and get by because I was their provider, they are all grown now on their own. I don't have any of the ambitions like I use to have, I don't know what to feel now. Don't get me wrong I am thankful for having my life that God is blessing me with but I just don't feel like I have anything to do with my life anymore.

See if u can get some private counciling to help u. Good luck and God bless u...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)