Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

What my Mental health clinic recommended.

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

They want me to get a case manager. They say i qualify for it because i have been hospitalized once and have major mood swings and extensive depression. I talked to my nurse twice and now iam suspicious that because i have been turned into CPS twice that is why that is recommended. SRS (CPS) both times have send me letters saying they didnt find anything so iam confused and am I being too paranoid?

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
godmama505
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I'm not sure it's anything to worry about.  A case manager helps keep all your services in line.  Not sure if you are on Medicaid or private insurance but with the new health reforms some places are going to managed care and most everyone will need something similar to a case manager.  I could be off basis but I think that's how it will work.

Dereksmom1018
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I like my case manager better than my therapist. My mental health agency makes us get case managers once monthly in order to get meds from the psychiatrist. Give her a try. You may like her. Mine is very real and down to earth. Thank God! Someone I can actually relate to :)

Meg2011425
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I had a case manager before I became great friends with mine. I still occasionally talk to her. They can be great at helping. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I used to work in a mental health facility and case management services are very normal and very much a part of mental health treatment for some people.  Your history of being hospitalized, mood swings and depressions matches up with what patients I saw getting CM services at my job.  I think you may be over analyzing it a bit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a preventive caseworker and I don't trust her or any other caseworker etc at all.  She takes me to my doctor's appointment once every three months and visits me twice a month, asks me if I need anything, and has to see my kids once a month which I ask that she do here at my house instead of taking them out of class and calling attention to me and them. 

I don't know one woman who doesn't have major mood swings.  If you get one be very vague when speaking to her/him and just keep things light.  I don't ever volunteer any information at all.  It may be a help to you but it's up to you.  If CPS never found anything then you are going to be fine.  It's just another person who could help but again, don't volunteer any info at all.  They are usually trying to fish around for info etc but I never give any other than a small amount. 

Good luck.

anotherandree
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I agree with several people that I would give her a try.  I, personally, have never had one, but when I was a home visitor for Healthy Families (NOT Family Pres or a CPS type program), I worked with several women that had case managers and they seemed to really like theirs and appreciate their services.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

My case manager was great. She helped me get the help I needed.

the.deadly.mrs
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Wow, I would love to be a case manager for people dealing with mental health issues. I'm going to school to get my masters in social work, been a long road since I'm dealing with depression, anxiety, adhd, and ocd. I don't think there is anything to worry about. Good luck to you!

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Have you checked working for the state dept of mental health or whatever your state calls it?  You could help people who need help the most.

Quoting the.deadly.mrs:

Wow, I would love to be a case manager for people dealing with mental health issues. I'm going to school to get my masters in social work, been a long road since I'm dealing with depression, anxiety, adhd, and ocd. I don't think there is anything to worry about. Good luck to you!

the.deadly.mrs
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I think I will. Thanks :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)