Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Nervous about travelling

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM
  • 15 Replies

I am going to be a bridesmaid in a wedding at the end of this month so I will be travelling from Seattle to Pittsburgh, PA by myself. I have flown alone, but never that far, so I'm a little bit nervous about that. On top of the nervousness is also excitement! This may sound completely nuts, but I have never actually met the girl whose wedding I'm in. We have been pen-pals since jr high, so just about 20 years we've been writing, texting, emailing, talking on the phone, all that. We have been friends for long than most of my "real life" friends. I love her to death and consider her family. I've talked to her mom several times on the phone, and I can't wait to meet them all. I am also hoping to meet a couple fellow CM'ers while I'm out there :-) Hopefully as long as I can keep reminding myself of the great fun that awaits me after the 8ish hours of travel, I won't have too much anxiety.

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsvixen
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM
What a adventure :-) Is it a direct flight?
reindeer-c
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Wow, how cool. I am excited for you. Just take some reading material, a laptop, or something else to pass the time. I don't know if you drink alcohol, but sometimes a cocktail can relax you a bit before the fligh or during the flight.  I cannot believe you and the bride have never met in person after all of these years. How long are you going to be there?

twistandshout
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Good luck to you. Drive carefully and take breaks, get something to eat and drink, take cell phone in case you need the friendly voice of a friend. Let us know how group hugeverything goes. Good luck.

Karla1948
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:58 AM

I don't have a problem with flying itself, but as a committed smoker, I have a problem with going smoke-free for such a long time. 8ish hours for me is a long time. Other than that (hopefully you don't smoke), this does sound like an adventure!

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Quoting mrsvixen:

What a adventure :-) Is it a direct flight?

no, I change planes in Denver

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Quoting reindeer-c:

Wow, how cool. I am excited for you. Just take some reading material, a laptop, or something else to pass the time. I don't know if you drink alcohol, but sometimes a cocktail can relax you a bit before the fligh or during the flight.  I cannot believe you and the bride have never met in person after all of these years. How long are you going to be there?

I will be there Sept 26 to the 30th, but I leave super early on the 30th, so it's not really counted as a day lol

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I think the whole process of travelling and flying especially is naturally nerve-wracking.  Bring along enough stuff to keep you occupied on the flight.  I used to do a lot of flying for my old job and it would be hard when I couldnt get into my own little world on long flights.  I would watch stuff I had on my laptop and listen to music.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Quoting matreshka:

I think the whole process of travelling and flying especially is naturally nerve-wracking.  Bring along enough stuff to keep you occupied on the flight.  I used to do a lot of flying for my old job and it would be hard when I couldnt get into my own little world on long flights.  I would watch stuff I had on my laptop and listen to music.

I should be getting three magazines in the mail in the next week or so, I will be saving those for the trip. My netbook doesn't have it's own disc drive, so either I will get a portable disc drive and see if it will play movies, or I'll pick up a little dvd player before I go. I will also have my ipod of course. As long as I don't let myself get overheated I should be fine. And I also reserved aisle seats.

rhodaj
by rho on Sep. 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Sounds like you will be having fun while you are there.  That does seem like a long time to get to PA. But I know you will have alot of lay overs.

elwalters77
by Erica on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Just focus on the good stuff, like meeting me! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)