Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Struggling with Depression

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am married and have 2 children. I am a strong Christian believer, and I struggle with depression almost daily. I have some reasons for my depression, as it runs (anxiety and depression) on both my mother and father's side, I also am an abuse survivor and have had other trauma in my life. I also lost my mother to cancer last September (the 19th will make it a year),  But I feel guilty sometimes since I am a Christian and have heard other Christians say that all I need to do is read my Bible and pray. While these are very important, for me, they are not enough. Anyone else in my shoes?

baby girlMissMansMommy

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM
I am also a believer but I've never been told that all I need to do is pray more. I believe in god but I also believe in doctors and therapists. They are there to help you as well as medication if that's what you need. Please don't deny yourself proper treatment bc you are a Christian.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twistandshout
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Hi, first off WELCOME to the group. we are glad you have found us. Here you will find a group of very supportive ladies. Someone is always here to read and reply to your post.

I to suffer from anxiety and depression also chronic pain. Depression and anxiety also run in my family. You are not alone at all. I was really sorry to hear about your Mother.

My best friend is my heavenly Father. When ever I have a problem (that I can't handle) I just give it to him. Reading your bible gives you encouragement and that is good. God wants us to see professional help from Dr's too. Talk to you medical doctor first and see what he has to say. Depression and prayinganxiety is an illness just as the mumps are. Please talk to the doctor, because you don't have to keep suffering. Good luck.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

There are absolutely  a lot of Christians out here, but do what it takes to help yourself, as well. Have you heard that Luke, one of the disciples, was a medical doctor? Trust God, but get the help you need, too. He will lead you to where you need to be. Good luck and welcome.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Yes, I consider myself a Christian but almost never read the Bible, because when I do (and this is terrible theologically) all I see are the "difficult passages" and in every story, if there's a "bad guy", I see how they are like me- I see condemnation of me, not comfort. I consider that it's my disease that causes that, and I consider the disease to be evil.

In our denomination, therapy and medicine are considered perfectly compatible with faith, and indeed my congregation is full of medicated depressed people, mostly in the stable/recovering stages, so if someone said they just had to pray more, that person would not find it a popular view! Certainly, our pastors are all over insisting we do whatever we can to get better.

missmansmommy
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I actually do have a psychiatrist and a therapist, and both are helpful, but sometimes even with those the depression is hard to deal with. I have 2 kids with special needs and that adds to the stress. Though I love them both very much, I sometimes struggle with guilt as to why I have 2 with special needs, like maybe I did something wrong somewhere along the way that they would both turn out that way. Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement and words of wisdom. They are helpful.

JJJMommyKris
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

You are definitly not alone. I feel the same way a lot, in fact just yesterday I was feeling this hollow despair in my chest while I was in church. I felt what I would describe as almost a panic but more. It was very disturbing and I do not have any idea how I am going to address this. But I do want you to know that you are not alone, someone else is in the boat with you. ***HUGS***

yu001133shan02
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM
HUGS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)