Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Stress Relieving Ideas?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM
  • 16 Replies

What are things you do to help relieve stress and anxiety in your life. I find that keeping a schedule helps me , and also writng poetry, writing a journal, getting out of the house, and organizing(lol), seem to help me. Was wondering what work for others, maybe we can all get some new ideas we hadnt thought of. 

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deltathree
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

walking, being out with nature, reading, bubble bath, music

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Stuff I CAN do something about (like money- maybe I can't work but I can save money? or a Big Scary Project I have to do): organisation, lists, doing some every day or dropping everything to get it done (depending on the situation of course), strategy sessions with husband or friend, ask for advice online, think through problem while mowing or exercising or listening to music, writing out pro/con or problem/solution lists, praying about what to do.

Stuff I CAN'T do anything/much about (SIL is sick and lives far away, DH's work going badly, not sure if house will appraise high enough to get loan): pray, exercise, bake something, listen to really loud music, write about it- either a journal or fiction works really well, get outside, sometimes cleaning works because it brings order from chaos, a friend of mine has a punching bag- I have tried hitting/throwing things like pillows, but it feels too immature- but it really works for her, maybe because the bag is made for it- I lf it's something I really can't deal with, sometimes I'll read and keep my mind off it till whatever it is goes away... I am also a huge fan of being alone or really long drives, of getting away from my house when the stressor is associated with a person or place, getting away really helps, even if it's just to a coffee shop or park.

Hanging out with friends and laughing are hugely good, but challenging right now. Usually Top Gear (the show on BBCA) makes me laugh, but it's about the only thing when I'm depressed.

jurnee14
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting deltathree:

walking, being out with nature, reading, bubble bath, music

music helps me a lot too,either blasting it at home or in the car when Im alone.

jurnee14
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Oh, I forgot lists, lists are great. Even when I dont get everything on my list completed, having some things crossed off really makes me feel better about  thinsgs. I took a self defense class once, and punching the bag was a grreat stress reliever. These are some really great ideas!

Quoting Tracys2:

Stuff I CAN do something about (like money- maybe I can't work but I can save money? or a Big Scary Project I have to do): organisation, lists, doing some every day or dropping everything to get it done (depending on the situation of course), strategy sessions with husband or friend, ask for advice online, think through problem while mowing or exercising or listening to music, writing out pro/con or problem/solution lists, praying about what to do.

Stuff I CAN'T do anything/much about (SIL is sick and lives far away, DH's work going badly, not sure if house will appraise high enough to get loan): pray, exercise, bake something, listen to really loud music, write about it- either a journal or fiction works really well, get outside, sometimes cleaning works because it brings order from chaos, a friend of mine has a punching bag- I have tried hitting/throwing things like pillows, but it feels too immature- but it really works for her, maybe because the bag is made for it- I lf it's something I really can't deal with, sometimes I'll read and keep my mind off it till whatever it is goes away... I am also a huge fan of being alone or really long drives, of getting away from my house when the stressor is associated with a person or place, getting away really helps, even if it's just to a coffee shop or park.

Hanging out with friends and laughing are hugely good, but challenging right now. Usually Top Gear (the show on BBCA) makes me laugh, but it's about the only thing when I'm depressed.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I love lists! I have been trying yoga as well. I enjoy curling up with a good book, going for a nice walk, taking a nap . . .

joyfulwise
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

stuff that's helping me lately - walking, meeting up with friends, meditation or quiet time to myself

anotherandree
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Reading, walking, biking, and crafting.

mikala76
by Michelle on Sep. 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Good old fashioned breathing exercises help sometimes. I use the four square breathing method. You breath in for four counts, hold breath for four counts, breathe out for four counts, and hold breath for four counts. Sometimes I'll do this all day long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelicav12
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

getting out one of my cars out and go out for a drive by myself.Been doing this lately,getting out one of my many cars out,my 1964 Nova,1956 Olds Super 88 and 2011 Camaro.It was my 1956 Olds Super 88 today,went out for a drive this afternoon just me.

jurnee14
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Quoting angelicav12:

getting out one of my cars out and go out for a drive by myself.Been doing this lately,getting out one of my many cars out,my 1964 Nova,1956 Olds Super 88 and 2011 Camaro.It was my 1956 Olds Super 88 today,went out for a drive this afternoon just me.

Cool cars! sounds like fun! I like to drive with the radio blasting, while singing along. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)