Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Afraid to go to therpy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Hi ladies. Hope everyone is having a good day.

So I've been feeling a big need within myself to seek counseling for some of my personal issues. The reason I say I'm afraid to go is because, I live in a VERY big bible town.  I afraid of being judged by the counselor, that they will give me advice based on the bible and their own personal believes, instead of what I truly need. I reached out to a church I use to go to, and was judged and never received help. In fact it made my feel worst about my depression.

How do I over come my fear? I know people at a church and a professional therapist are two different things but the fear is still there.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM

the church judged you for asking for help? that's awful :-(

kellysparkles
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Well it's unethical for a licensed therapist to judge like that, but what about going to a therapist in a nearby town?  I suggest setting up a meet-and-greet with whoever you do decide to see; while you're there, ask them questions about what their specialty is (some focus in hypnosis, some in PTSD, some in depression & anxiety, etc), where they went to school, why they decided to become a therapist.  Look around their office, too.  If you're uncomfortable with anything then do NOT stay.  You're under no obligation to and the biggest concern is making sure that you're comfortable since it is such a personal thing.

mikala76
by Michelle on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Oh boy I can relate. My extherapist was a big bible thumper, and made me feel like I was such a bad christian for being bipolar and bpd. His whole mantra was that if I was christian enough they would go away. He was also best friends with our pastor, and I used to volunteer in our churchs nursery. One day a lady from our church told me I couldn't work with the children bc I was bipolar. I tried to contact my pastor, but he wouldn't return any of my phone calls, so after church one day I asked him and you know
what he said? He said my therapist had told him about me and that ppl with bipolar were crazy and had no place in his church. This was in front of the entire congregation. I ran away crying. To this day I no longer call myself a christian bc of the arrogance behind his remark. Later though I found out he was kicked out of the church bc he had an affire (sp?) With one of his members. This made me rethink the whole christianity thing.

If I were you I would try to find someone secular b/c tounges do wag.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Good luck... Remember you can always find another therapist... I like pp suggestion to do a meet and greet and talk about the their approach to therapy
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I can understand that fear.  Licensed therapists and social workers are held by a code of ethics to  be professional.  I don't live in a heavily religious area so I've never encountered that.  I would try a mental heath clinic, they are usually funded in part by the state and cannot be bible thumping.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I like what matreshka said & just wanted to say - give it a try & just see. 

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Hey, I'd send you a PM but the message system on CM drives me nuts. Maybe I'll do both.

But you express this so well... do you mind if I share your story (anonymously of course) with some people who might need to hear it?

Our church isn't like this, but I can easily see it happening, and helping nobody. Sorry you went through that

Quoting mikala76:

Oh boy I can relate. My extherapist was a big bible thumper, and made me feel like I was such a bad christian for being bipolar and bpd. His whole mantra was that if I was christian enough they would go away. He was also best friends with our pastor, and I used to volunteer in our churchs nursery. One day a lady from our church told me I couldn't work with the children bc I was bipolar. I tried to contact my pastor, but he wouldn't return any of my phone calls, so after church one day I asked him and you know
what he said? He said my therapist had told him about me and that ppl with bipolar were crazy and had no place in his church. This was in front of the entire congregation. I ran away crying. To this day I no longer call myself a christian bc of the arrogance behind his remark. Later though I found out he was kicked out of the church bc he had an affire (sp?) With one of his members. This made me rethink the whole christianity thing.

mikala76
by Michelle on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Quoting Tracys2:

Hey, I'd send you a PM but the message system on CM drives me nuts. Maybe I'll do both.

But you express this so well... do you mind if I share your story (anonymously of course) with some people who might need to hear it?

Our church isn't like this, but I can easily see it happening, and helping nobody. Sorry you went through that

Quoting mikala76:

Thank you for understanding, and of course you can share with whomever you like.

What doesn't kill me can only make me stronger
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)