Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Can you have good and bad days while on medication?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

I felt GREAT yesterday and the day before, and actually most of today as well! But, then this evening I was back into my "irritated" mode, which gets pretty ugly. They have been talking about doing an inpatient if things don't get better soon! I am confused as to why/how I could feel so good for awhile, and then now feel so crappy again. I feel like I am on a rollercoaster I can't get off, and I want to be done!!! 

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm on meds and I still have good and bad days.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Trust me, it happens. Ive been on various meds for 24 yrs and no matter what meds Im on I have my up days and my bad days. If you start having too many bad days though, you may want to talk to your Dr. Hope you feel better soon, hugs mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Meds are supposed to make you have more good days than bad, but they are not a cure for all bad days.  Bad days mean that you are living life.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Meds are there to get you to a basic level of functioning so you can work on coping skills and such for day to day life.  I definitely still feel like a roller-coaster even though I am on meds that work well for me.

Letha
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I feel like that all the time :( it sucks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikkita311
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I have good and bad days and am on meds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JansRainbow
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it does happen. I have been on medication for 30 years. I have good days and bad ones. Just because you take medication, that doesn't  make everything all better and no more depression. The medication helps relieve the symptoms but you need to work on in therapy how to handle things so not to get depressed.I can be having  good days and bam all of a sudden I  find myself so depressed. Always be sure to let your doctor or therapist know how you are doing. Maybe keep a record of your moods and discuss it with them.

pamk5641
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, medication of any kind, whether it be for high blood pressure or diabetes etc doesn't always control the symptoms, same for antidepressants.  Maybe your doctor can increase the medication if he thinks it will improve the symptoms. 

Best of luck to you. 

mommy425906
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Ugh! I just went through this last week. I've been talking about how great I feel and how I've see so much of an improvement with my PPD the past month or so ... Until last Monday came. Then I progressively went downhill as the week wore on. By Thursday I had to literally force my smiles when I was with my kids. I wore my pj's all week, no shower for almost 3 days, didn't feel like talking to anyone, barely ate anything. It sucked!! Now its Saturday night & I'm making my way back up to that 'happy place'.

Like many have already said - the meds help stabilize your mood so you can cope with those bad days. But for the most part your good days will outweigh the bad! Hang in there! :-)

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:41 AM

yes we have good days and bad days. some days i do fine and others i sit and cry throughout the day. but i have to make it through them and hope for the better days. when you are feeling down try to do something to occupy yourself and get your mind to a better place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)