Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Random idea I have had, not sure where to go with it ...

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

A big passion in my life is mental heath awareness and providing lots of resources for people to get the help they need. And now that I have experienced PPD/Anxiety I really want to focus that passion towards general women's mental health. I think women in particular feel apprehensive & even ashamed to reach out for help. When I've shared my PPD story with my gf's quite a few said 'Oh I think I had that but was too afraid to get help.' Or many women feel they will be labeled a bad mom, weak, or even risk having their kids taken away. 

I'm trying to come up with an idea for a place that women can get the help they need. Not necessarily an in-patient thing or clinic. I guess it would just provide general therapy & counseling. Maybe group classes as well. And have a child care provision so moms could bring their kids with them & still make it to their appts! - I think that last part especially sounds really cool! Gyms & grocery stores provide child care, why not a medical facility? That way moms would be more likely to make it to their appts! :-)

What do you all think? Any other suggestions or ideas? Has anyone heard of a place like this? How would you go about doing this?

busy mom

Proud mommy to Parker & Kayla!! 

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommy425906
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

BUMP!

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

i think that sounds like a great idea!

mommy425906
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I think so too!! :-)

I just don't know how you would even go about starting something like that. I'm no way in a position to now, but just thinking about fun dreams for the future.

I also just thought it would be cool to have a little espresso bar/cafe there as well. So women would have a place to hang out & chat after group sessions. And maybe even hold like a monthly book club or something? ... Maybe my imagination is running a little wild now! LOL

Quoting lyrick24:

i think that sounds like a great idea!

busy mom

Proud mommy to Parker & Kayla!! 

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM
I have no idea how to get something like that up and running, but I think it sounds great! I would go to a place like that for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Serenitymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Talk with a local support groups or maybe even go online to find groups in other places and see how they started theirs. I know where I was from they had a support group that was for women that went to the womans battered shelter. Daycare was provided and such. Just a thought

leahbeah143
by Leah on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I've thought about doing something like that myself, but like you I have no idea where to even start, or if it's something that would be utilized.

mommy425906
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Yeah where to start is still a mystery. I would want to have licensed therapists, psychiatrists, & psychologists - so where does their pay come from? I have no idea how the mechanics of a clinic or medical facility works.

Should provide plenty of research for me to do in what little spare time I have! :-)

Quoting leahbeah143:

I've thought about doing something like that myself, but like you I have no idea where to even start, or if it's something that would be utilized.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN