Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

schizo effective disorder

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM
  • 12 Replies
OK so I have been at home for a while now feeling very tired and in pain. My head back body in general. Well I am not feeling myself I feel as if my indeed is getting the best of me. I have now been told I have schizo effective disorder bipolar type which scares me. I feel as I am losing it. I hate this. Well I can't seem to do up anything or get into anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikala76
by Michelle on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM
What is schizo effective disorder, and how does it relate to bipolar disorder? Sorry You're in so much pain.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Clear input
Home > Diseases and Conditions > Schizoaffective disorder
Bookmark and Share

PubMed Health. A service of the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.

A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia. Atlanta (GA): A.D.A.M.; 2011.

A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia.

Schizoaffective disorder

Last reviewed: March 7, 2012.

Schizoaffective disorder is a mental condition that causes both a loss of contact with reality (psychosis) and mood problems.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The exact cause of schizoaffective disorder is unknown. Changes in genes and chemicals in the brain (neurotransmitters) may play a role. Some experts do not believe it is a separate disorder from schizophrenia.

Schizoaffective disorder is believed to be less common than schizophrenia and mood disorders. Women may have the condition more often than men. Schizoaffective disorder tends to be rare in children.

Symptoms

The symptoms of schizoaffective disorder are different in each person. Often, people with schizoaffective disorder seek treatment for problems with mood, daily function, or abnormal thoughts.

Psychosis and mood problems may occur at the same time, or by themselves. The course of the disorder may involve cycles of severe symptoms followed by improvement.

The symptoms of schizoaffective disorder can include:

• Changes in appetite and energy

• Disorganized speech that is not logical

• False beliefs (delusions), such as thinking someone is trying to harm you (paranoia) or thinking that special messages are hidden in common places (delusions of reference)

• Lack of concern with hygiene or grooming

• Mood that is either too good, or depressed or irritable

• Problems sleeping

• Problems with concentration

• Sadness or hopelessness

• Seeing or hearing things that aren't there (hallucinations)

• Social isolation

• Speaking so quickly that others cannot interrupt you

caiello84
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikala76
by Michelle on Oct. 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Thank You for the info. I almost wonder if i can have that.
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM

i am dx'd bipolar 1 but at one point schizo-affective bipolar type was a dx they gave me from a hosptial admission. 

take it easy on yourself.  you aren't the dx you are still an individual with a lot to give the world. there are meds that can help.  feeling tired and in pain is usallually a sign of depression. 

do you get hallucinations, voices, delusions? i do when my moods are extreme.

caiello84
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Voices sometimes, hallucinations yes and I have disoriented thoughts ask the time. I back problems I forgot to mention that earlier. The meds are making me tired too . I have sciatic nerve issues and a joint issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhodaj
by rho on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I have a friend that has been diagnosed with this and with the correct meds he said he couldn't believe the difference in himself

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

It is called Schizo-affective disorder.  'Affect' means mood.   This means you have mood symptoms AND symptoms of schizophrenia.

THANK GOD for this diagnosis, because before this diagnosis, decades ago, people did not get both types of their symptoms treated adequately.  

It is discouraging to anyone to get such a diagnosis, of course, but if you stick with treatment (medication, practical counseling and supportive people around you), you can expect to lead a decent, satisfying life.   Not without its difficulties of course, but your life does NOT need to be ruined by this illness.   REALLY.   Does NOT need to be ruined.

Any time you have mood symptoms with schizophrenia symptoms, you're lookin' at a better prognosis - all the people I know who have Schizoaffective disorder, are doing rather well - they DO need to stick with medication, but if you do, you can look forward to 'life after diagnosis'.  And there IS 'life after diagnosis'.  One guy I know, is a good friend of mine and runs a small business and supports himself well, another is a commercial artist, supports herself too.   

You will need to get settled into a medication routine that works for you, and stay away from street drugs and alcohol.

JUSTt BE SURE to stay on your medication - do NOT be tempted to quit your meds, even if you feel great or EVEN if you feel like you don't need it.   It is a long term aid as well as dealing with daily symptoms.

These 4 are the best advice anyone can give you.

STICK WITH YOUR PSYCHIATRIC MEDICATION.

DON'T DRINK ANY ALCOHOL, DON'T DO RECREATIONAL OR STREET DRUGS  - EVER.

TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF.   GET EIGHT TO TEN HOURS OF SLEEP A NIGHT, EAT WELL, A HEALTHY, BALANCED DIET.

STAY AWAY FROM ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS - ANY GUY WHO HITS YOU OR ABUSES YOU, YOU GET OUT OF THERE - RIGHT AWAY.

MommaBear98270
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I have this also, it can cause a lot of pain and troubles for me daily. I just wanted you to know your not the only one. Need to sounding board, Im here!

caiello84
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I hate this disease
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)