Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

i have a question

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 7 Replies
This is for those that have bipolar disorder and bpd. I let it slip a couple years back to my husband's family that i have these disorders. I also told them that i have had ect treatments. It seems like ever sense Then they come across as being afraid of me. Am i being paranoid, or have others experienced the same reaction?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
twistandshout
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Michelle, I have been in this wonderful group for about 7 months. I have read many posts and replies by you. To me you seem to be a very sweet Lady. I do not see anything to be afraid of as far as you are concerned. Having said that you know how some people are about mental illness, they just don't understand it. You really have to chose carefully when talking about your problems. I am sorry that you are going through this. To me it is just their loss. Smile it's ok. Hug

jurnee14
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of people just dont understand and dont really want to be educated. I work for a doctor, and he knows my diagnosis, but still if we get pts in with a mental illness, he judges too quickly. He says its different because he knows me, idk, people are just ignorant I guess

elwalters77
by Erica on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Mental illness is scary for people because they don't understand it and it has such a stigma attached to it. I'm sorry they are treating you this way.

mikala76
by Michelle on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Thank You so much for such encouraging replies. I can't stop obsessing about it, and i know that they're afraid of me. It just really hurts.
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Do you feel comfortable asking them, or asking your DH what their opinion is?  With BPD and bipolar comes a lot of misplaced paranoia, but paranoia can still be real in many situations.

Yes to varying degrees. My parents grew up with me being bipolar and I lived with them while getting ect.  They aren't afraid of me but in my last hospitlaization refused to visit.  They are done "dealing" with my illnesses.

My dh's family is full of people with issues so I fit right in lol.  I have a lot of boundaries with mu MIL because she is not seeking treatment for her own issues. (what I think is borderline).

Many of my old friends abandoned me.  It hurt alot for so long, but I met my dh, I've met wonderful ladies here, and wonderful people in the prgrams I go to.  I am going to continue with group therapy to meet more people who understand me.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Quoting elwalters77:

Mental illness is scary for people because they don't understand it and it has such a stigma attached to it. I'm sorry they are treating you this way.

This.

mikala76
by Michelle on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM
I don't feel comfortable asking anything about what they think. I already know how they feel by the way they treat me. When i did tell them, many years ago, they made faces and just ignored me. These illnesess have alot of bad stigma attached to them, and they really have treated me differently since Then. I think my husband's cousin is even afraid that i might hurt his children. There was a situation at my dh's last family dinner where i had stepped outside of the restuarant to have a ciggerette, and his cousin had followed me outside b/c his small kids were outside letting off some steam with their mother. He had asked me how i was doing, i replied that i had been sick, which is true with the ect treatments and hospitalisations. He just made a face, and made it clear that he wasn't really interested. I'm just so hurt by these stigmas. You tell ppl You have a mental illness, and they think You're going to pull out a knife and kill them. My own family doesn't even know about my bpd illness (even though i think my Mom has it) due to the horrible stigma attached to it. You tell someone You have bpd, and they think You're trying to constantly mamipulate them. Even though my own pdoc has told me that not once have i come across manipulative. And, i have always told him that if i have Then please tell me. In fact, he thinks i'm in remission. Sorry this is so long, but i just feel so hurt.

Quoting matreshka:

Do you feel comfortable asking them, or asking your DH what their opinion is?  With BPD and bipolar comes a lot of misplaced paranoia, but paranoia can still be real in many situations.

Yes to varying degrees. My parents grew up with me being bipolar and I lived with them while getting ect.  They aren't afraid of me but in my last hospitlaization refused to visit.  They are done "dealing" with my illnesses.

My dh's family is full of people with issues so I fit right in lol.  I have a lot of boundaries with mu MIL because she is not seeking treatment for her own issues. (what I think is borderline).

Many of my old friends abandoned me.  It hurt alot for so long, but I met my dh, I've met wonderful ladies here, and wonderful people in the prgrams I go to.  I am going to continue with group therapy to meet more people who understand me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN