Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Depression and tanning?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM
  • 13 Replies

My mom told me that going in a tanning bed can help with your depression. I tanned today at my gym and I do feel a little better.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM
No experience with it, but Ive also heard it was good for SAD. I live in Oregon and all winter is dreary
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twistandshout
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I can see that, cause it makes you feel better about yourself. Always take a moment out of the day to do something just for you even if it is just a cup of coffee before any one in the house gets up. A little me time is good for us all.

Tracys2
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I would think it was bright, which is nice, and relaxing. Sunlight is supposed to help depression. Does tanning produce vitamin D? That's supposed to help.

But I'm not an expert, and I've never tanned mechanically. I have done it in RL though, by the pool or in the pool or lake, and I must say, I was quite relaxed and happy during and after

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM
There is something called a light box that helps with depression. A dr has to prescribe it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Yea, my doctor told me to. You still get some of the benefits from tanning as you do with the real sun. I only go once or twice a week, just enough for a boost.

strngenough
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM
It does help to produce vitamin d. Tanning makes me feel better too. I think I just like feeling like a cookie in the oven.

Quoting Tracys2:

I would think it was bright, which is nice, and relaxing. Sunlight is supposed to help depression. Does tanning produce vitamin D? That's supposed to help.

But I'm not an expert, and I've never tanned mechanically. I have done it in RL though, by the pool or in the pool or lake, and I must say, I was quite relaxed and happy during and after

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by Erica on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Sunlight or tanning beds can help with depression, especially SAD and vitamin D deficiency. Just don't overdo it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

i have several friends who tan in the winter because they say it helps their depression.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I know people who do it and they say it works.  Just make sure to go to a clean place and use the lowest settings.  Personally I think a full spectrum light box would be safer.

flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I'm not too keen on the idea of tanning for helping with depression.  I understand the light might make you feel good, but those light boxes can do this too.  I worry about skin cancer & don't like the idea of premature wrinkles.  Then again I like being outdoors & am not always good about sun screen so... Did  you by any chance work out while at the gym?  Maybe the fact that you did something for yourself helped give you a boost.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN