Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Stressed - medicaid issue

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM
  • 4 Replies
My son has two forms of insurance - the primary one doesn't cover a lot of the services he needs (he is 2 and has developmental delays), so we got medicaid as secondary coverage for him. It's been a huge help. I've paid the monthly costs for it and never missed a payment. No problems with it whatsoever until now.

Yesterday I received a letter saying his medicaid coverage will end on 12/1 because he is already covered under commercial insurance. I was told by a Medicaid caseworker when he first received it that having another insurance would be no problem. I have a friend that helps sign people up for Medicaid, and she said having two insurances would be no problem. But now it is for whatever reason.

I am definitely going to appeal this - there is no way our family can afford his medical care without the help of Medicaid.

I was curious if any of you have ever dealt with a problem like this and how you fixed the situation. Any thoughts, feedback, etc, about what to include in the appeal would be helpful as well. Thank you all!
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
anotherandree
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I used to be an eligibility worker for Indiana (7 years ago), and then only Medicaid Disability was the only time you could have Medicaid as a secondary insurance. If you had any other insurance, you were automatically disqualified for regular Medicaid. But again this was a few years ago and in Indiana.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunangel803
by Angela on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Actually I live in Indiana :) Thanks for the info!
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Is your son on disability for his delays? Are they serious enough to warrant disability?

Here in ma you can have both ins if you pay for.the.Medicaid too depending on your income.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommysTimeOut5
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Well, I got kicked off medicaid because I make too much money. The kicker is I am recieving unemployment so where am I suppose to get insurance from. I go to therapy weekly and to the psychiatrist twice a month and without insurance my medicine cost me 97 bucks with all of the discounts this month. I feel your pain, just keep calling to the medicaid office or reapply for the medicaid for your son if you need to so you can go sit down in person with someone that can give you answers face to face. That is how I got the answers I needed by starting off fresh with a new case number. Good luck and by the way, I live in Indiana too so I hate calling to Indianapolis because no one never knows what they are talking about

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN