Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coping confession

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM
  • 17 Replies
I posted earlier this week that my mother is visiting and I am at my wits end with her and we are only HALFWAY done (one week left to go). I saw my therapist this week and she really helped. I have chronic headaches and have Vicotin to help on the really bad days. My confession is that I have been taking one with my nighttime meds even though I have no headache. It has really been numbing me out and gives me this sense of calm that I don't have the rest of the day. My therapist says that I run from my negative emotions, which is exactly what I am doing now. I want to stop and have every intention of not taking it once she leaves, but I can't seem to stop while she is here. I look forward to numbing out all day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM
While Im not saying it is a good thing to do, I understand. Ive abused pain pills before, not massively because I rarely have them prescribed to me because I dont need them, but I would be lying if I said I didnt like how they make me feel. Is there any talking to your mom about what shes doing thats making you nuts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:15 AM

There are other ways to cope with mom in law! 

What exactly does she do?   Is she critical of you?   Does she complain a lot?   What's she doing?  Let's start there.

Vicodin and medicines like it can be very difficult to stop taking, you can even get addicted.   Please stop taking it to cope with her.   Let's find other ways of dealing with that.  

iluvmybabe
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I have done this before too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

be very careful. its addictive

anotherandree
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Yes to all of the above.  LOL.  She is terribly critical and expects to be waited on hand and foot.  I am also overall just annoyed with her.  I do understand that what I am doing is toeing the line between numbing out and becoming addicted.  I also need to understand that I am going to be hurting when I am out of the med and I actually need it.  She just drives me crazy!!

Quoting lancet98:

What exactly does she do?   Is she critical of you?   Does she complain a lot?   What's she doing?  Let's start there.

Vicodin and medicines like it can be very difficult to stop taking, you can even get addicted.   Please stop taking it to cope with her.   Let's find other ways of dealing with that.  

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I am thta way with caffeine and nachos, so I understand, but painkillers scare me. I've seen them ruin a marriage already (nephew). I don't have any suggestions but if there is something else you can do to calm down, I'd try that first. Bath, scream in the shower, play loud music over headphones, run in place, eat unhealthy foods- anything that works.

Getting to the root of the problem and dealing with her criticism, and telling her what is not acceptable, is better, but I know that's a huge step and we can't always make that, and I do understand where you're coming from.

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting anotherandree:

Yes to all of the above.  LOL.  She is terribly critical and expects to be waited on hand and foot.  I am also overall just annoyed with her.  I do understand that what I am doing is toeing the line between numbing out and becoming addicted.  I also need to understand that I am going to be hurting when I am out of the med and I actually need it.  She just drives me crazy!!

Quoting lancet98:

You're doing a great job, but doing a great job at the wrong thing - convincing yourself it's ok to take a narcotic,risking an addiction to a substance that could literally RUIN your life,  to deal with a crabby in law!

GUESS WHAT?   You are being irrational.   The situation DOES NOT WARRANT IT.

strngenough
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I did that with my Percocet. I was giving a couple pills for back pain, but only used it to take one to fall asleep. I don't get addicted and there are no symptoms when I stop taking it. I just feel lucky that for a couple days I get to get good sleep. I never ask for more but if I got it I use it to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strngenough
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Btw if someone causes that much distress then why have them over? I know we are supposed to, but if someone doesn't make you happy, but puts you that far down then why bother?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Trust me, I managed to avoid her for 2 years.  Usually her visits are for just 4 days tops, but this time she decided to book her flight for TWO weeks.  I just about died when she told me.

Quoting strngenough:

Btw if someone causes that much distress then why have them over? I know we are supposed to, but if someone doesn't make you happy, but puts you that far down then why bother?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)