Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

I finally told everyone what has been going on.

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM
  • 9 Replies
3 moms liked this

I wanted to put this out there, for anyone who feels like they need to keep this secret, for anyone who feels alone, or just simply afraid.

Yesterday, I made an announcement to my friends and family that I have PPD. I'm tired of these feelings taking over me, so yesterday I fought back. I knew the one thing PPD had over me was making me hide from the ones I love for fear that they would notice I wasn't myself.

This is what I said:

"For my benifit, I've decided to inform everyone about what has been going on. I don't want to be ashamed anymore about something that I have no control over, and I'm only isolating myself and making matters worse by keeping it secret. I was diagnosed today with post partum depression. I'm now on the road to recovery. If I seem like I'm not my usual self, please be patient with me and try your best to be understanding of the situation. If you have something negative to say to me about what I am going through, please save your breath and educate yourself on the facts and studies instead. Thank you everyone for your prayers, and I ask that you keep praying for me, my husband, and my children."

Everyone's positive feedback has been overwhelming. I learned that I had a few friends that had been through the same thing, but battled it alone because they were too afraid to speak up.

For all the ladies who are hiding, I hope this can be some help to you. I figured we're in this together, and we can help each other out of this sickness.

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I also went through severe ppd after both my kids were born. It is nothing to be ashamed of and I applaud you for being forthcoming with your friends and family. If you need someone to talk to, I understand. Hope you start to feel better soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Thats awesome mama! Im so very proud of you! I had really bad PPD after my youngest son was born 8 yrs ago. It was horrible. I was hospitalized 9 times during his 1st 2 yrs of life. I was NOT expecting it cuz I didnt get it with my 1st son. Thankfully all my family and loved ones were very supportive. Good for you mama for telling everyone. Theres no need for any of us to suffer alone. We need to unite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
It's incredibly brave, what you did. Good for you that you took a risk and took charge!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChocolateJunky
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Thank you. It came on really sudden miday at 5 weeks PP. It's been a huge adjustment. If I ever need to talk (I'm certain I will), I'll keep your offer in mind.

Quoting dizzy77702:

I also went through severe ppd after both my kids were born. It is nothing to be ashamed of and I applaud you for being forthcoming with your friends and family. If you need someone to talk to, I understand. Hope you start to feel better soon.

ChocolateJunky
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM

My reaction is similar. This is my second baby, so it really caught me off gaurd. I've always dealt with clinical depression and social anxiety, but I've learned how to maintain it. Something just felt different about these episodes I was having. It took my dh sitting me down and telling me he was worried for me to finally seek help. I think some of the anxiety has diminished since I spoke up. I hope so at least. I'm just trying to keep my positive attitude throughout all of this.

Quoting ashleighmama:

Thats awesome mama! Im so very proud of you! I had really bad PPD after my youngest son was born 8 yrs ago. It was horrible. I was hospitalized 9 times during his 1st 2 yrs of life. I was NOT expecting it cuz I didnt get it with my 1st son. Thankfully all my family and loved ones were very supportive. Good for you mama for telling everyone. Theres no need for any of us to suffer alone. We need to unite.

ChocolateJunky
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM

:) Thanks

Quoting anotherandree:

It's incredibly brave, what you did. Good for you that you took a risk and took charge!

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM

That is so great that you broke the silence.  And it was good that people spoke up and said they went through the same thing.  I wish you well on your road to recovery.

elwalters77
by Erica on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Good for you!

iluvmy2somuch
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Well I do not have PPD, I have PPOCD which last much longer and unfortunetly doesn't go away (the bad thoughts etc.) I have come to terms for right now with them, because I realize I'm not going to do these things and that I am not crazy, though I feel that way at times. I told people right away and have been going to thearapy. I tried meds but they are just not for me so I am sticking with cbt cognitive behavoral thearapy. I know I did not spell everything correctly. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)