Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Seasonal depression

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM
  • 11 Replies
I seem to get more depressed beginning in nov before thanksgiving and lasting through the Christmas and New Years holidays. It happens to me every year some worse than others. Like last year when I was put in a hospital for Christmas. I have bipolar disorder but mostly suffer from the depressive end of it. It just gets worse in the winter months even though I moved to a part of the country that doesn't get seasons. Does anyone else have a rough time this time of year and what do you do about it? I am afraid I will get worse and end up hospitalized for Christmas again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elwalters77
by Erica on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Be sure to get as much sunlight and Vitamin D as you can. Tanning beds help too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

my doctor suggested Vitamin D, but I always forget to take it. For me I struggle with the cold and being freaked out about snow and ice.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM

i seem to be having a worse time now. i have noticed my crying spells are increasing. i am bipolar also and get the depression with it. i think that maybe my husband being stationed in ga and i am in va has something to do with it but he is coming home in a couple of weeks to stay for a while so i hope i will start feeling better.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Ive always had SAD, even when I lived in San Diego, now I live in Oregon and its darkish for 9 months. It sucks. I have a medical light, I take vitamin D3 and take my meds, but it still sucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deltathree
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I start taking vit D this time of year.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM

No. My bad monthis August when my kids go back to school. 

MamaDee2Bee
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I dont know what it is maybe so many past memories from the holidays or the fact that my family doesnt really get excited a/b them anymore and it seems that our grandparents have turned us away like we're the "black sheep" i just dont like the holidays....i try really hard to stay happy for my kids sake cuz i dont want them to go back and remember that their mom was always sad around the holidays...idk what else to do...

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM

For many people with bipolar disorder, myself included the winter brings more depressive cycles and the lighter months bring more manic cycles.

I am happy because today it is finally sunny after a long grey spell.

Try to exercise, take vitamin suppliments like b complex with c, and d.  Omegas also help too.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Also, I've been working really closely with my therapist and doc because I have been so depressed lately.  I had my cymbalta increased.

icn_mom
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I get severely depressed around the holidays as well. I tell myself I have to smile for my daughter, I dont want her ending up like me, crying when the holidays come around. I fake it till I make it!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)